PDA

View Full Version : LLanwarne-Slade marriage 1701

Jillianiris
22-08-2006, 9:07 PM
Looking for information on the Llanwarne family, in particular Bridget, possibly from Fownhope, who married John Slade at Hereford cathedral 7/2/1701. Any information welcomed.
Jill

Trevor Llanwarne
30-09-2006, 6:49 PM
Dear Jill,

I've seen your recent query.

I have been researching the Llanwarne family tree and so have this marriage record in our database. We don't have a record of her birth/baptism. However, there were Llanwarnes in Fownhope and Holme Lacy in that period. There are two candidates for her parents - John and Jane or Thomas and Mary. We have a big family tree covering those dates but with no details of baptism are not sure how exactly she fits in.

Perhaps if you can tell me some more about your interest, I may be able to supply some more information of assistance.
With best wishes,

Trevor Llanwarne

Jillianiris
25-10-2006, 3:36 PM
Hello Trevor,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've only just picked up the message.

I am descended from John Slade and Bridget through the Slade line (my mother was a Slade). My grandafther was born in Fownhope and I believe his family had been there for many generations, though I don't think there are any Slades remaining there now. I'm told that they were in Holme Lacey before moving to Fownhope some time during the 1700's.

I know that a John Slade was clerk of works to Lord Scudamore in the mid -17th century, and was responsible for the construction of a weir in the River Wye. I would love to find out if this was the one. More than that, though, is my interest in finding out about the females in my tree...the ones who tend to get forgotten.

Much of my information has been gleaned from a Slade-by-marriage who I came across on another genealogy website. She has done years of research as far back as this John.

I'd be interested in anything you can tell me about Bridget and her background.

Regards
Jill

Trevor Llanwarne
03-01-2007, 9:22 PM
Dear Jill,

Sorry not to have replied before.

All I have regarding Bridget is that there is a record of her marriage licence in Hereford Record Office. Ref 1701/160. I think it states that both are from Fownhope. I have not examined the licence itself so I guess you would need to go to Hereford. That said, the originals rarely say much other than whether spinster or widow and may give age or perhaps whether under 21.

There is also a parish record of the marriage which states it took place in Hereford Cathedral with John Slade of Fownhope.

So I think we do have a fairly rich couple here so quite possible her forebears built the weir.

We don't know for sure who Bridget's parents are. However, there are only two realistic candidates - Thomas and Mary or John and Jane. I have guessed Thomas and Mary and have included her there in the family tree we have. If you are interested in seeing the tree, you can go to llanwarne.net. Click on the first clickable place and it opens a pdf file. This splits the tree in two and you want the bottom half. You need to zoom in from 11% to 100% to be able to read it. Then go to the generation with the box in the bright green colours. There you will see Bridgett and lots of others in Fownhope/Holme Lacy in two or three separate areas but all at about that generation.

This is not a fully released web-site and indeed we are doing an overhaul with a relaunch perhaps in next month either on that web-site or another. The individual name entries aren't working properly on one of the other links. However, you will see on the first web-site page that there is an e-mail link if you wish to pursue any enquiry more directly.

With best wishes,

Trevor Llanwarne

PS What was the other web-site for the Slades that you referred to. That may have more information for our Lanwarne family tree!

Trevor Llanwarne
06-01-2007, 3:21 PM
Dear Gill,

In sorting out some old papers, I came across some 1999 correspondence on the Bridget Llanwarne marriage with Margaret Slade. I assume you and she are related and that you have access to those papers?

Trevor

Jillianiris
06-02-2007, 4:25 PM
Hello Trevor,
Sorry for the delay. I haven't looked on this website for some time.

As you rightly surmised in your second response, I got a lot of my information from Margaret Slade, who I came across on Genes Reunited. My own research has been done purely on line, I'm afraid.

Myself and Margaret are not directly related. Her husband and I share Slade great-great-grandparents, I think. I believe the family lost its property due to mismanagement around the time of these ancestors, and most of the sons took up different building trades.

I will certainly look at the link you have given me.

Thanks,
Jill