PDA

View Full Version : Where is Newport M?

June Harvey
07-11-2004, 9:24 PM
I have found a birth on 1837 online which was recorded in 1911 in the District of Newport M.

I have searched Genuki, consulted Gazeteers and Googled, but cannot find Newport M. There is a Newport in Monmouthshire, but surely, if this was the location, it would read Newport, MON. I don't even know which county it is in as the father moved around on the railway. Would someone please explain this to me.

Regards

susan-w
07-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi June
When you do your search and get a result, you can click on the district, in this case Newport M. If you click on this, you can follow another link to - http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/mon.htm - to get more information on the district

I guess the transcribers at freeBMD decided to abbreviate it to Newport M as it is Monmouthshire, and it stops confusion with Newport S in Shropshire/Staffordshire

Hope this helps
Susan

June Harvey
07-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Dear Susan-w:

Thank you for your swift response.

Susan - you will see that the information came from 1837 online and not FreeBMD, however, I really appreciate the link (which I followed) to the correct Genuki page. Darned if I could find it by going in from the Genuki Home Page.

Guy Etchells
07-11-2004, 10:42 PM
The problem is the Chapman codes were not around in 1911 when that birth was recorded, :) as a result counties were abbreviated in a number of ways using anything from one to four or more letters.
Cheers
Guy

Ladkyis
07-11-2004, 11:26 PM
If the volume number is 11a then it is Newport Monmouthshire, now newport gwent.
Ann
in cloudy Newport Gwent

June Harvey
08-11-2004, 6:14 PM
Guy: that explains it. Thanks very much. June

June Harvey
08-11-2004, 6:16 PM
Ann: Yes, 11a it is. This absolutely confirms it. thank you very much. June

Cymraes38
10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Newport,Monmouth
Newport, Gwent
Newport, Newport?

Nannybabs
10-11-2004, 1:03 PM
I have just replied to a letter that I recieved this morning from the Local Council in Newport and they give their address as Newport, SOUTH WALES!

We are getting more and more confused here in Sunny Newport.

Barbara

Ladkyis
10-11-2004, 1:08 PM
I am staying with Gwent because part of the old county managed to steal the name Monmouthshire and I think Newport, Newport is copying New York, New York - and technically Newport Pembrokeshire is also South Wales so I think Gwent will do nicely thanks. the postmen are incapable of delivering my mail correctly whatever is written on the envelope - that includes the correct postcode too!
Ann

Frank_Spooner
09-12-2004, 7:22 PM
Just to add a little more confusion let's not forget Newport P. - Which is actually the town of Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire

Frank