PDA

View Full Version : Mills of Oswestry

Wardy
20-08-2006, 6:51 PM
My mothers family is proving a problem. I know she was from Oswestry and she never knew her parents. I have a copy of her birth certificate.The mother is listed as Sarah Jane Mills - no father.
I have a copy of my mothers marriage certificate. She says her father was Thomas Mills, a miner from Oswestry.
Sarah Jane gave her address as 13 Oakhurst road, Oswestry. Looking on the 1901 census, there was no number 13!!
Then I searched 1901 for Thomas Mills. I found one living in Beatrice Street with wife,Margaret and children,John 11, May 9, Gladys 6, Letitia 4, and George 1.
Given that my mother was born 1924, could this family be Sarahs, (she being born after 1901),and my mother named her grandfather on the marriage certificate?

By the way, my mother did have an aunt Gwen who was Sarahs sister, so she would also have to have been born after 1901.

I'm clutching at straws now,but is there any way of finding out if I'm on the right track?

I should also add that my mother was called Margaret. Another link perhaps to the above family?

Geoffers
20-08-2006, 9:11 PM
My mother....never knew her parents. I have a copy of her birth certificate.The mother is listed as Sarah Jane Mills - no father.This would indicate an illegitimate birth

I have a copy of my mothers marriage certificate. She says her father was Thomas Mills, a miner from Oswestry.Bearing in mind she appears illegitimate, it seems unlikely that hew as her father, but in view of the fact that she didn't know her parents (did her mum die young?) and your mention of......

the 1901 census.....Thomas Mills. I found one living in Beatrice Street with wife,Margaret and childrenIt could be that this this Thomas was her grandfather (or some other relative) by whom she was brought up. I have a similar thing with one of my line - a lass had an illegit son, she died - he lived with grandfather and on his marriage cert and apprenticeshipo indenture his grandfather is shown as his dad.

I'm clutching at straws now,but is there any way of finding out if I'm on the right track?Assuming that Sarah died soon after the birth of her son, I would search first for her death in the GRO index and then also for birth and see if either certificate could throw any light on things. A check of any workhouse records for the area may also be useful.

Geoffers

Wardy
21-08-2006, 6:19 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

I may have a trip down there to see what I can find out.

Toronto
23-08-2007, 11:51 PM
My mother Ruth Lorraine PARSONAGE was born in 1917 at 133 Beatrice street in Oswestry with out a father's name shown on her official birth certificate. However a very kind person looked up the local church records and found a very good match for a mother (my grandmother was also named Ruth Parsonage with a child named Ruth). The date of the baptism was the same date as the birth certificate was made out which was one month after my mothers birth. But to get to the point, the local vicar must have scared the bejeebers!! out of my grandmother, because my grand fathers name was shown in the baptismal record. Arthur JACOBS a soldier. But no army number was listed :((

All my best
Mike Morris
Toronto Canada ex Manchester England

Wardy
25-08-2007, 9:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. I must admit I've not been doing any research for a few months, but you've spurred me on to do some more now