PDA

View Full Version : 1841 census lookup Durham

jdharvey
19-08-2006, 6:57 AM
Could some kind person help me complete my family census. I need to find Edward Ross aged 53, married to Elizabeth, with a family of Edward (5), Elizabeth (8), Alexander (13),Margaret (14) & possibly more. Edward was a shipwright & they lived in Sunderland I think. Many thanks Dorothy in Oz

blue eyes
19-08-2006, 1:42 PM
Could some kind person help me complete my family census. I need to find Edward Ross aged 53, married to Elizabeth, with a family of Edward (5), Elizabeth (8), Alexander (13),Margaret (14) & possibly more. Edward was a shipwright & they lived in Sunderland I think. Many thanks Dorothy in Oz

Hi Dorothy

I'm having trouble locating the Ross family on the 1841. Had a look on the 1851 found Edward Ross age 63 born Benton Northumberland, occ shipwright, Elizabeth age 42 wife born Durham, Edward son age 15 born Sunderland. No other children listed with them.
Civil parish Bishopwearmouth Eccl. parish Deptford St. Andrew, Durham

Julie

Carrie Meerten
19-08-2006, 2:25 PM
please notify where the birth places of everyone are for further help.

jdharvey
21-08-2006, 2:54 AM
Many thanks Julie for your help. I do have the 1851 census, trying to go further back & just hitting brick walls.
Thank you Carrie for your reply. Edward was born in Benton NBL, Elizabeth born in South Shield although I think there may have been 2 wives called Eliz. as first marriage in 1816. 1851 census is hard to decipher Eliz. age as either 42 or 62 but son was only 15. Children born Bishopwearmouth. I am really trying to find Edward's parents' names, have searched Benton parish records with no luck. As he was a shipwright is there any way to find apprenticeship records which could be for NBL or Dur. Thank you again, Regards Dorothy

Ian Kinnear
22-08-2006, 10:11 PM
My Late Grandmother Edith Kinnear (nee Ross ) Her father was Edward Ross
wife Elizabeth ( nee ? ) off spring George W, Margaret Snowdon also Elizabeth Hindmarsh. George was if I have the correct Edward Ross a soldier in the Durham Light Infantry. Badly wounded in WW1. Used a pony & trap to get about. If you agree. Would be delighted to hear from you.

Ian W. Kinnear

jdharvey
23-08-2006, 6:00 AM
Thanks Ian for message. My Edward is 3G-grandfather born 1788. The youngest Edward I have in family tree was born 1855. Since 1800 all family have lived in Bishopwearmouth for 100 years. Regards Dorothy

rdmelbourne
19-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Edward Ross ,born@1853 worked Sunderland as shipwright, married Elizabeth (nee Bainbridge?). One of their children was Elizabeth Anne Ross born @1883 Sunderland, Married Ernest Hindmarch born 1880, sunderland,master Butcher. They had 2 children, Arnold born 1904 (married Eva Knorr) and Majorie. Edward Ross (1853) is my Great Great Grandfather.

ernest041
09-06-2011, 3:54 PM
Their eldest child was Leslie who married Norah they had two (2) children John and Audrey, Arnold was known as Jack for most of his life and Eva had two (2) children Jean and Ernest. Marjorie married a fella with the surname Lowndes who was in the R.A.F. they had two (2) children Michael and Elizabeth aka Libby. I am Ernest son of Jack and Eva. I currently live in Suffolk England.