PDA

View Full Version : PARTRIDGE, buried Greenbank Cemetery

FredP
18-08-2006, 1:27 PM
My father's sister HARRIET ANNETTE CHARLOTTE PARTRIDGE known as NETTIE, died in Bristol aged 20 on 26/11/1897 and was buried by their eldest brother who came up from Portsmouth 'in the family grave' on 29/11/1897.

I know of no other connection of the family with Bruistol, but I am now wondering whether their g-grandfather WILLIAM PARTRIDGE came from there. He was a book-binder born about 1773/4 and the earliest record of him in in Bedford in 1812.

The burial was in grave no. 55 Green X, but fotr some reason the body was exhumed on 23/12/1995 - 98 years later - and re-buried in grave 2138 Blue T. No further details are available to me without payment of a hefty search fee.

I wonder if anyone visiting the cemetery can tell me if there are any other names recorded on either the grave or the original site.
Many thanks, FredP.

Robwest
25-02-2007, 9:27 AM
As far as I know, once the lease on graves has expired stones are removed and bodies can be moved. This allows easy maintainance of the cemetery. I believe the leases are normally 90 years

SloopJB
11-06-2008, 12:50 AM
FredP

My wife has family in Greenbank and I did ring up albeit some years ago now.

I believe the administration is carried out from Canford, another cemetery in Bristol and they were able to give a lot of extra information about the grave, who owned it when it was obtained and who is buried in it.

I guess these days so many people enquire they have got wise and charge a fee.

They did seem to be very good in as far as if they took headstones down they recorded all the details and as stones do deteriorate atleast this captures the available information at a point in time.

They may also have the address of your ancestor who buried your relative in Bristol at that time if you do not know this.

I am by no means an expert but I would have thought that Greenbank was say Victorian and that a burial in 1700s would have been in centre of Bristol ?

So my guess would be that if it is this period that you hope to find more information about you could be wasting your money.

I might be worht a call and see if you can charm something out of them.
Sometimes they will tell you the kind of information on record so you don't waste money if there is no substantive information available.

Good Hunting, SloopJB :)

Mike Fear
11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi FredP
Greenbank cemetery was opened in 1877.
You can find a line plan showing the different section on "bristol.gov.uk" go to burials & cemations then click on Greenbank cemetery plan. T is near the chapel &
TT is near the entrance.
There is a full time groundsman on site who can guide you to the right grave.
If i'm down that way with some time to spare I will have a quick look around for you, but there are many graves without headstones & sadley many more that have been lowered.
Mike

FredP
16-06-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks Mike, for the offer. I hope sometime to get to Bristol and have a look myself, but it is quite a distance to travel.

Thanks too, SloopJB, for your interest. It is only the 1897 headstone (if any) that I would expect to find. I know who arranged the burial, but am puzzled by the 'memorial card' saying 'in the family grave' when I know of no family connection with Bristol. As the deceased was in service I wonder if it could have been the employer's family grave.

Regards, FredP

SloopJB
16-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Hope I have been of some help. :)

The records at Canford would also tell you who else was in the grave.

As well as who bought the grave, maybe they bought a family grave and only one person is buried in it ?

If the headstone survives maybe that will tell you something ?

Good Hunting SloopJB.