PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Medal Cards for Army but not Navy?

Jillychris
15-08-2006, 5:16 PM
I have my Grandad and his five Brothers all served in the forces during WW1.

One was in the Army, my Grandad was in the RNR and four Brothers were in the RN two were KIA.

I can only find one Medal Card and that is for the Soldier (Frederick Warrey).

Does anyone know why this is?

I have all of the RN Sailors Seaman's Registers and there is no mention of Medals on there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Jill

Geoffers
15-08-2006, 9:54 PM
I can only find one Medal Card and that is for the Soldier (Frederick Warrey). Does anyone know why this is? I have all of the RN Sailors Seaman's Registers and there is no mention of Medals on there.

RN war medals from WW1 are in a differfent document class from those in the army. Only the army medal cards are online. If you wish to view the RN medal recors you will have to go to TNA at Kew and look through ADM171.

Geoffers

Jillychris
16-08-2006, 8:18 AM
I see I wonder why they put the Army online and not the Navy strange really? Thank you for your help once again Geoffers.

Just another little question another of these Brothers died in 1901 he was on a Ship (HMS Redpole) during the Boxer Rebellion. He died of meningitus and I assume he got the Medal for being there, how would I find that out is there some sort of list?

Kindest Regards
Jill

Geoffers
16-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I see I wonder why they put the Army online and not the Navy strange really?
I would guess time and resources. They've put on the Army Medal Cards and the RN service registers - having a lot of naval ancestry I'm glad they did it that way around. Maybe in time, they will get around to including the RN medal rolls.

continued.......

Geoffers
16-08-2006, 11:11 AM
part 2......

another of these Brothers died in 1901 he was on a Ship during the Boxer Rebellion and I assume he got the Medal for being there, how would I find that out is there some sort of list
Best thing I can suggest is to have a play with a search engine. Use TNA's online catalogue.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

In the word or phrase field enter the following words exactly as I've typed them: Boxer AND medal

You need to include AND in capitals so the search will include both words, you can use the same thing for other searches - look across to the right of the search screen and you'll see an example with a link giving other search options.

In the Department or series code enter ADM (most RN records are in the ADM class, an abbreviation for Admiratly). Now search. You'll probably get a couple of hits and they should both be in ADM171.

TNA's catalogue is a very useful resource and it is worthwhile spending sometime carryign out simple searches just to see what is there. Click on the links from searches and then the fulld etails tab to see what other background information is shown. Try searching on your name of interest and using the code WO (War Office), the place where your family lived and enter the code RG. Explore, but if you get stuck, please ask.

Geoffers

Jillychris
16-08-2006, 2:37 PM
Hi Geoffers

Yes I am pleased they put the Seamans Registers on first too as I have got a lot of information about my RN relatives.

Thank you for the information about searching for details of my ancestors Boxer Medal I will try that.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kindest Regards
Jill