PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Certificate Help

Tambo2202
14-08-2006, 1:07 PM
I have an Australian marriage certificate and I am pretty sure the birthplace of the spouse is Buckinghamshire, but am having trouble understanding it. Would anyone be able to help me clear this up?

It also looks like Benjamin's mother is Fanny Reeves, but haven't been able to find her anywhere, am I reading her surname correctly?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Tammie

ChristineR
14-08-2006, 1:44 PM
Hello Tammie

The spouse's birthplace - Buckinghamshire is a county (like our states in Australia).
If you tell us her name, approximate birth year and the parents names from the marriage certificate (and her father's occupation) then someone may find her for you in a census, and then you will have a birth town.

Benjamin - same thing - give us the names of both parents, the father's occupation, and his approx birth year and we will see what turns up!

Christine

Tambo2202
14-08-2006, 1:57 PM
This must read like a cryptic ask for help!
I was hoping to attach a pic of the certificate but have had no luck, keep getting told that the file size is too big, and can't make it smaller without ruining the quality of the picture.
So I will have to just look like a goose and leave it at that. Will try again another time.

Thanks,

Tammie

ChristineR
14-08-2006, 3:22 PM
I did wonder if you meant to attach an image! :) it did read like that.

I saw your post re Benjamin. Since he was born before civil registration (started July 1837) you will need to be looking for a baptism record. If he didn't emigrate until after 1851 census then you will be lucky and get a town name - so you will know what church records to look for.

Christine

JocelynR
15-08-2006, 9:50 AM
The Bucks Family History Society http://www.bucksfhs.org has lots of useful stuff.