PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Census Help Please

jabscrooby
10-08-2006, 6:05 PM
Would someone be able to look at the 1861 Census for the household of a Robert Mander born 1813 Worcs possible wife Sarah and a Son Issac born Worcs in 1850, should be living in Farnham.
Many Thanks

Peter Goodey
10-08-2006, 6:25 PM
Manor Farm
Farnborough

Ellen Mander 11
Emily S Mander 24
Isaac G Mander 19
Joseph Mander 22
Robert Mander 47 Head Farmer of 141 acres
Sarah Mander 41 Wife
Sarah Mander 17

RG 9/434 f 50 p 17

jabscrooby
10-08-2006, 6:37 PM
Peter
Many thanks for finding them.

jeeb
10-08-2006, 9:53 PM
The family found for you by Peter would seem correct and there does not seem to be any other Issac Mander on 1861 census. However this Issac would have been born 1842 not 1850 as you stated, it clearly states his age as 19 on the 1861 census. It also states the father Robert as born Stretton, Worcs. (I assume this will be Stretton on Fosse) and Issac as born Tidmington Worcester. Both Stretton On Fosse & Tidmington are in Warwickshire.
Thought I would point these issues out in case they cause problems later!
Cheers Jeremy.

Peter Goodey
10-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Tidmington was in Worcs according to GenUKI.

Just for your amusement, I'll mention that the IGI thinks Stretton was in Gloucestershire :D

jeeb
11-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi Peter & 'Jab'
It would seem Tidmington was in Worcestershire in 1861 but was transferred to Warwickshire in 1931. Stretton on Fosse is the next village to Tidmington and as far as I know was always Warks. This is one of those strange areas where certain parishes belong to one county and are surrounded by parishes from another county. They are known as 'perculiars'.
Ebrington is still such a case today, it is in close proximity to Tidmington & Stretton on Fosse but remains in County of Worcs.
The 1861 gives Robert's birthplace as Stretton, there are several places with that name dotted about the country but as Stretton on Fosse is the neighbouring parish to Tidmington it is a fairly safe bet to assume that is the one but as we all know as genealogists --TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED.
Cheers Jeremy

Peter Goodey
11-08-2006, 1:20 PM
"This is one of those strange areas where certain parishes belong to one county and are surrounded by parishes from another county. They are known as 'perculiars'."

I'm afraid that's not what a "peculiar" is. Tidmington, as you describe it, would simply have been a detached Worcestershire parish. My reference material doesn't show it as constituting or being part of a peculiar.

A peculiar is a parish or group of parishes exempt from the standard ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Geography didn't really come into it. Basically, they didn't report to the Archdeacon! Often they were administered by a Dean and Chapter.

The distinctions can be of genealogically importance.