PDA

View Full Version : Egans in Ireland

Gemma
08-08-2006, 1:37 PM
I'm well and truly stuck with these guys!

My great x3 grandfather was John Egan of Ireland. He moved to Barrow in Furness with his wife Eliza Egan (nee McHain or McKain) and all their children were born here.

On the 1881 census they are in Barrow and state that they were both born in 1852 and the place? All that is written is ' ...Rankfoot, Ireland' - where is that???????? I've tried googling it, but nothing. The talk of the family is that they came from County Offaly but with such a common name and the place of birth not really existing I just do not know where to look.

Can anyone offer any help, assistance, tips, (or anything!!!!)???????
I'd be most grateful!
Thanks, Gemma

pejay
09-08-2006, 1:18 PM
hi there,
two websites that may help you are www.irelandroots.com/ (http://www.irelandroots.com/) and www.genuki.org.uk/contents (http://www.genuki.org.uk/contents) it is difficult with irish ancestors, I have some that supposedly come from Co Waterford, but so far I have not managed to find out anything about them. good luck.|wave|

Gemma
09-08-2006, 8:14 PM
Thanks,
I'll give them a try but how inconsiderate of the recorsd office to burn down in 1922 eh?!

|banghead|

JNicLiam
13-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi Gemma
One thought I had re Rankfoot and Co Offaly - have you considered Frankford - if they were not very literate and some one was writing down what they thought they heard, it might come out ....
For information Frankford Co Offaly is in the Barony of Ballyboy, in the Civil Parish of Ballyboy and the Poor Law Union of Parsonstown.

You might also want to subscribe to the Co Offaly mailing list and put up a query re your Egans to see if anyone can help out.

Regards
Jill

Gemma
13-08-2006, 3:53 PM
Hi Jill,

I'm not at all famililar with Ireland so I didn't even know the place existed. I have looked at maps in the past but there's only so much map-looking-at that you can do!

I'll look into it further!

Thanks for your |help|

Gemma :D

a8smith
05-05-2008, 7:56 PM
hi my ggrandmother was mary kennedy born 1851 parsonstown co offaly,her daughter maggie williams married charlie egan in oswetry england,does this ring any bells with you,thanks