PDA

View Full Version : Workhouses and Settlement

Peter
06-11-2004, 7:10 PM
John Morley was born in Chatham in Kent about 1813. In 1851 he was married and living in Liverpool. In the 1881 census he is shown as living in the Workhouse at Wragby, Lincolnshire and a death certificate says he died there in 1883. The question is " How long would he have had to live in an area to be admitted into the local workhouse?"
Peter

Guy Etchells
06-11-2004, 8:24 PM
From 1601-1662 a person only had to be in the parish for one month to receive poor relief, but this proved to be a drain on some parishes so the law was ammended.
The rules in 1662 were
Someone who held property in the parish worth (if rented) over £10 per year or if they held public office in the parish.
An unmarried person who had worked in the parish for one year.
A person resident in the parish for 40 days having given prior warning of their intention to do so. (This option was often used by adjacent parishes who would apprentice their orphans in the next parish and so escape their responsibilites)
A woman who married a man of the parish
Illegitimate children and also any legitimate child under 7 years whose father lived in the parish.

The rules did change over time but basically as above.
Cheers
Guy

Procat
07-11-2004, 2:05 AM
Hi Peter,

In 1871 (if you do not already have this information) it appears he was:

Name: John Morley
Age in 1871: 58
Estimated birth year: 1813
Relation: Head
Where born: Clatham, Kent, England

Civil parish: West Derby
Ecclesiastical parish: Fairfield St John
Town: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire

Source information: RG10/3849
Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: West Derby
ED, institution, or vessel: 60
Folio: 139
Page: 9
Household schedule number: 33

I can send the image to you if you do not have it.

Peter
09-11-2004, 7:21 PM
Hello Procat,

I would be delighted to receive the image of the 1871 census for John MORLEY, as I have not had access as yet to this census. It will also give me further info on his family
Peter

Peter Goodey
09-11-2004, 8:57 PM
That would be Glanford Brigg Workhouse. Records at Licolnshire Archives but it doesn't look as if anything very useful for that period has survived.

Procat
10-11-2004, 8:31 AM
Hello Procat,

I would be delighted to receive the image of the 1871 census for John MORLEY, as I have not had access as yet to this census. It will also give me further info on his family
Peter

Hi Peter,

I have emailed the Ancestry link to you for the image using the email a friend option. If it does not work let me know.