PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of Melbourne

Polly1
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
This is a real long shot. I have just been speaking to my Aunt who remembers that one of her mothers cousins was Mayor of Melbourne. Does anyone know where I could view a list of past Mayors - probably around the 1830's.

Thanks in advance of any help.

ChristineR
06-08-2006, 1:42 PM
Melbourne was founded in 1835, the first interim Mayor and councillors were not elected until 1842.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=52&pg=703

If you let us know the person's name, we may be able to find some biographical info about him.

Christine

Polly1
06-08-2006, 1:53 PM
Hi Christine,

I have just spoken to my Aunt who can't remember his name but says it was one of her mothers cousins.

I think for now the best thing would be to look for the surname of Lewis - if there are any Mayors with this surname maybe then I can match up a christian name.

Apparently, he was Mayor for 5 years.

Hope this helps - sorry it is a bit vague but my Aunt is 85 now and her memory is not as good as it was.

cheers
Polly

ChristineR
06-08-2006, 3:43 PM
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=52&pa=735&pg=739

this page is within the one I gave you above, and says in part...
"From 1842 to 1902 the office of Mayor of Melbourne was held by 42 members. The office was held on seven separate occasions, not in succession, by John Thomas Smith between 1851 and 1863. This is the greatest number of terms of Mayor held by any member of the Council.

Sir David Hennessy held office as Lord Mayor of Melbourne for five successive years from 1912–1913 to 1916–1917. This is the longest period of successive years of office in the history of the City.

So, in the time frame you are thinking of, the nearest would be John Thomas Smith."

Polly1
06-08-2006, 5:23 PM
Maybe my Aunt has got it wrong - perhaps it wasn't Melbourne - thanks for trying Christine

Polly1
06-08-2006, 5:27 PM
Just had a thought - maybe the guy I am looking for wasn't a Lewis but married to one the females of the family.

Thanks for the link to the page it is very interesting and I will keep looking.

ChristineR
07-08-2006, 3:18 AM
These stories have a habit of changing somewhat during the years - a cousin could have any surname, and may married a Mayor in Melbourne, which then introduces another surname! But a term of 5 years is still unusual - our current Mayor has now served that number I believe.

Just make a note of it, and then if someone pops up in that place and time, you will know where to look.

cheers
Christine