PDA

View Full Version : Mundys of Hampshire

vicrine
02-08-2006, 7:27 PM
I am looking for the parents of Charles Edwin Mundy, born Winchester, Hants 1886. He was in WWI as a driver in the Royal Horse Artillery and died after the war of the 'flu. He was buried in Mons Communal Cemetary in Belgium in 1918.

I have found one Mundy family in a census but can't be entirely sure it's the right one. Charles Married Emily B Baker and they had many children. I have been extremely successful in locating the entire Baker family, but to pinpoint the correct Mundy is proving difficult. Charlie and Emily eventually had Edward (Ted), who had Philip, who had Paul, my husband.

Can anyone shed some light? We are no longer living in the uk so it's difficult to get round to all the places and actually look.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Victoria Mundy

idredge
03-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Victoria

Your best bet is to get the marriage, that will give his fathers name, there are a few born in Hampshire, but it depends whether he moved to Winchester, how do you know he was born in winchester.

Irene

Geoffers
04-08-2006, 7:34 AM
If Charles was born in Winchester (presumably the source is the CWGC site showing him as a native of Wincehster), then freebmd shows a Charles Edward MUNDY birth registered in Winchester District in Dec qtr 1885 who may be your chap.

The 1901 census index shows a Charles Mundy born Kilmeston (just to the west of Winchester) who may be the same. As Irene suggested, obtaining his marriage certificate which should show his dad's name (and possibly relatives as witnesses) seems a priority. If you are not sure how to go about this, please ask.

Lastly, spelling of surnames did not become fixed until about 1900 - so don't forget to look for variant spellings - e.g. MONDAY.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
04-08-2006, 12:09 PM
"Charles Married Emily B Baker"Do you not have the marriage certificate? I would suggest that if you don't have that, any earlier stuff you do is just guesswork.

vicrine
04-08-2006, 8:15 PM
I don't have a marriage certificate. I would love to get one, how do I do it? They only reason I know/guess they were married is the registration on the BMD that lists both their names.

The Winchester native info we did get from the CWGC site, and from family members who were in touch with Nan Mundy (Emily Beatrice) up until she died.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Victoria

Peter Goodey
04-08-2006, 8:41 PM
"I don't have a marriage certificate. I would love to get one, how do I do it?"

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Geoffers
04-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't have a marriage certificate. I would love to get one, how do I do it? They only reason I know/guess they were married is the registration on the BMD that lists both their names.
Okay, you have Charles MUNDY from whom your husband is descended. Start with one of his children for whom you have a birth certificate. The birth certificate will show his father's name and also his mother's name and maiden name. With the surname of both parents, you can more easily search for a marriage certificate.

Since 1837, a system of civil registration has existed in England and Wales. A birth, marriage of death was reported to a local registrar. He copied the information to the General Register Office (GRO), who indexed all the events every three months.

continued......

Geoffers
04-08-2006, 10:01 PM
part 2...

The GRO index is available online at many locations. The complete index is for example available on a pay-per-view site 1837online Search for an event there and note down the entrie reference when you find a relevant entry; then order the certifiacte from teh GRO, using the URL given by Peter.

When searching for a marriage - if you have both parents surnames from a birth certificate - you should find two entries one for bride and one for groom; both should be in the same quarter, year and with the same registration district, volume and page.

If any of that is clear as mud, please ask again

Geoffers

vicrine
07-08-2006, 4:54 PM
Thanks, Geoffers. All your info has been a great help to me. I have ordered a marriage certificate. I already had the marriage registration, same volume, date, page etc, correct names, places as well. So fingers crossed I will find his father and mother's names on the certificate!

Harfink
07-08-2006, 6:43 PM
Lastly, spelling of surnames did not become fixed until about 1900 - so don't forget to look for variant spellings - e.g. MONDAY.

Geoffers

And not forgetting the variant "Munday" - I know of at least one "Hampshire Hog" family with that spelling!
Alan

vicrine
02-10-2006, 9:42 PM
Ok, I have in my hands a certified copy. He was living in Freemantle, and it states that his father was: Charles Mundy, deceased, as Shop Assistant. Darn it! I hoped it would have the mother, as I keep ending up with Isabella Jane, I am not quite sure. Now I guess I will have to order a birth registration/certificate. Charlie's youngest son died in February; it was very hard for all the family and I don't want to be pushy and rude and have them sort through all his papers to see if he had any of his dad's stuff when he died after the war.