PDA

View Full Version : John Fleming

marionq
02-08-2006, 4:09 PM
John was born in Wick, Caithness, Scotland on 28th Feb 1870. He joined the Royal Navy in 1889 and left in 1901 after which I can find no trace of him. It is fairly easy to trace a death in the Scottish records and he is not there but I wonder if anyone has access to the death records in England between 1901 and say 1960 to see if he is recorded there.

I have tried to do it myself but without any more details or an annual subscription to one of the English databases it is impossibly expensive.

busyglen
02-08-2006, 6:51 PM
If you go here you can search yourself for `free'.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Good luck

Glenys

marionq
02-08-2006, 7:59 PM
Glenys, perhaps you can straighten me out here. Do you have to trawl through each year looking for someone who would match the year and then seek the certificate from ...... ?

The set up in England is so different from using the scotlandspeople website that I am out of my depth here.

I am making a trip to the Islington records later this year - would that be a better bet for finding someone?

Marion

busyglen
02-08-2006, 8:23 PM
Yes, you would need to search on the name and go through each quarter, year by year. I don't think there is an easier way. When (if) you find the entry, you need to take details of the place of registration, the volume number and page number which are to the right hand side of the entry. The only problem you may encounter, is if there are more than one entry for the same name, and you are not sure where they were residing at the time of death.

When you have this information you can order online if you wish from the General Register Office. I've forgotten the ULR but will add it for you later.

You can also visit the GRO and search the records there if you wish.

I don't think there is an easier way other than ploughing through the records, which is what I am doing at present to find a death. It's a process of elimination, and quite often you pick the wrong one!

Good luck anyway.

Here is the GRO ulr http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Glenys