PDA

View Full Version : finding a coroners report Manchester

mattjarvis8
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Has anyone got any advice on how to find coroners reports in Manchester?

I have just recieved an interesting death certificate for my 2xgreat grandfather :

James Martin died 22nd June 1887 aged 38 at Roberts+Dale Chemical Works, Corubrook. (Hulme, Manchester )

Cause of death ( in very small writing! ) :

"a fire was caused owing to Robert Hyde disobeying orders and smoking on the premises and ignited picric acid and litharge that had been accidentally mixed and fused owing to the negligent manner in which they had been stored and so caused an explosion that destroyed the building and killed James Martin"

Signature, description and residence of informant:
Certificate recieved from Sidney Smelt Deputy Coroner for Manchester , Inquest held 24th June,14th July and 4th August 1887.

Any ideas on how to get more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Javis

uksearch
02-08-2006, 1:31 PM
Apart from a brief period from August 1851 to December 1852, no Coroners' Reports survive prior to 1918 in Manchester. You may, however, be able to find a report in one of the papers.

UK
PS not sure if it was a typo but the place is Cornbrook;)

mattjarvis8
02-08-2006, 6:35 PM
Thanks. That is really useful to know. I will come over to Manchester sometime and check out the newspapers.

Regards,

Matt

Jack Richards
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Respectfully suggest you may have made a typing error in the word Corubrook - please have another look, are you sure it is not CorNbrook?
Regards Jack

mattjarvis8
03-08-2006, 7:57 AM
I made a mistake when reading the certificate. Thanks for the correction.

Regards,

Matt

uksearch
03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Respectfully suggest you may have made a typing error in the word Corubrook - please have another look, are you sure it is not CorNbrook?
Regards Jack
I did point that out yesterday|5cups| .

UK