PDA

View Full Version : Larissey Family in Ireland

TerryN
01-08-2006, 2:22 PM
I'm researching a part of my family, who originate in Ireland.

My great-great grandfather was Thomas Larissey, born 1810.

On the 1841 Census he is stated as being born in Ireland, NK.

Does anyone know what NK might mean?

He married in Doncaster, Yorkshire in 1840.

Anyone else researching this family name ?

Terry.

arthurk
01-08-2006, 5:32 PM
On the 1841 Census he is stated as being born in Ireland, NK.

Does anyone know what NK might mean?
It means "not known". The 1841 census for England and Wales records whether someone was born in the same county they were enumerated in - Y(es) or N(o) - or if they were born in S(cotland), I(reland) or F(oreign Parts). The "NK" note tends to appear in some online census indexes, and gives the misleading impression that more information might have been recorded if only the person had had a clue where he/she was born.

However, if you can find Thomas in 1851 or any later census, you might be lucky and find a more precise birthplace, though my experience with Yorkshire census returns suggests that with the Irish it isn't always given.

Good luck,
Arthur

TerryN
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Arthur.

I have a friend in Ireland, working on trying to place Thomas by family name.
The name Larisssey is not one of the more widley used names, so we might be able to focus on a specfic location.

Terry.

get2BJ
16-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Terry,

There is an entry for the name Larrissey (double r and double s) at a which states that the name originates formerly in Mayo and later Kilkenny.

Hope this helps

Brenda

get2BJ
16-08-2006, 12:42 AM
There's also an entry here

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/names.htm

which shows the Irish form of the name (O) Larrissey will have been Ó Learasa, which may give you something more to go on when searching.

Brenda

1952keavo
06-02-2008, 7:02 PM
my great grandmothers maiden name was larissey,even though it was spelt differently nearly every time she had another child,she was from mullinavat in kilkenny where the name is quite common,hope this helps