PDA

View Full Version : Watermen

06-11-2004, 1:16 PM
I have a family by the name of Shute living in Limehouse who were Lightermen on the Thames. I have been told that they worked for Esso and would like to find out more about them. I posted a message on the Watermen Mailing List and it was suggested that I might be better off posting a message on the Essex list as it was thought that Esso was based in Purfleet. The year would be late 1800's as I have found them on both the 1881 and 1901 census. Any info on records that might be held by Esso would be useful.

Georgina

Guy Etchells
06-11-2004, 5:07 PM
It might be wise to point out that until 1939 Esso in the UK was called the Anglo American Oil Company, it started in 1888 and was part of John D Rockefeller's US company the Standard Oil - SO

Therefore if looking in trade directories etc. look for Standard Oil.
Cheers
Guy

07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi Guy,

Many thanks for that information. It will stop me wasting a lot of time.

Georgina

Gill Williams
06-11-2005, 4:54 PM
Hi Georgina

I realise I am writing to you a year after you posted this but I have just come across your message. I have a CD ' The Company of Watermen & Lightermen of the River Thams Binding Index 1692-1949'

I have looked up the name SHUTE and come across 3 born in Limehouse

DAvid Isaac Augustus
George
George Henry

Are these names known to you,

Gill

Sandra M
19-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Hello Gill,

I see from an earlier message that you have the CD of Watermen & Lightermen of the River Thames 1692/1949. I wonder if the names Henry, James or Horatio Grey appear on that CD. I would appreciate any information.

Regards

Sandra