PDA

View Full Version : Caesar AUGUSTUS in Cheshire

Narelle
30-07-2006, 6:22 AM
Hello All,
I have just found my long lost GGgrandfather Caesar AUGUSTUS and his family in the UK census for 1851 in Cheshire. He was born in South America c. 1817. In 1851 his occupation was stated as Ship's Steward which probably explains his migratory habits.

Caesar married Charlotte nee ROBERTS in 1847 in Liverpool. Caesar and Charlotte's children were Casar b. 1848 d. 1848, Earl Maurice b. 1850, Charlotte b. 1852. Caesar's wife Charlotte died in Sept 1853 and their two children went to live with her father Griffiths ROBERTS and sisters Jane and Ann. I guess that Caesar then left by ship to Australia where he married again in 1855.

Caesar never forgot the children he left behind and included them on all official documents.

Earl Maurice married 3 times to women named Eliza A., Mary, and Elsie. He had 3 daughters named Agnes, Charlotte (Lottie), and Elsie. His sister Charlotte married a Frank GIBSON and they had a daughter Charlotte (Lottie).

I would love to get in contact with any AUGUSTUS descendants to share the rest of the story with them.

Regards Narelle

Wirral
30-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Narelle

Do you already have the marriage certificates for Cesar Augustus (what a wonderful name :) ) & for Earle Maurice Augustus?
From the General Register Office index (GRO) & www.lancashirebmd.org.uk (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk) :
Cesar Augustus married Charlotte Roberts in 1847 at St John, Liverpool, Lancashire, in December quarter 1847, Liverpool registration district, volume 20, page 227.
Earle Maurice Augustus married in March quarter 1874, Bolton registration district, volume 8c page 371, probably to Eliza Ann Baber.
Earle Maurice Augustus married in June quarter 1886, Chorlton registration district, vol 8c, page 1121, probably to Mary Johnstone.
Earle Maurice Augustus married Elsie Turrian at St Mary, Beswick, Manchester, Lancashire, in June quarter, Prestwich registration district, vol 8d, page 810.

Narelle
31-07-2006, 1:24 PM
Wirral,
Many thanks for filling in the missing surnames for Earl Maurice's wives. I received Caesar and Charlotte's marriage certificate a week ago and am now purchasing their children's birth and death certs.

Thanks to your help I will now go ahead and order Earl's marriage certs and eventually their children's.

Yes Caesar Augustus is a wonderful name but not so easy to pin down a certain one or filter out all the original Caesar Augustus of Rome hits. I am surprised how many there were in the 1800's worldwide. Must have been the fashion. Funnily enough this is the name that got me hooked on genealogy many years ago.
Kindest regards
Narelle