PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Denton Will

Casey
30-07-2006, 1:30 AM
Jonathan Denton died in Bardney, 1866. His widow was Frances Swabey Denton. There was some question about his will. How can I find out what was in his will? It didn't involve much money, as I understand, but I'm curious. I live in the US, so I can't just go look it up.

Thanks

Richard Denton
31-01-2008, 2:46 PM
Hi, I'm a Denton and I live in Lincoln, England and these Dentons are my ancestors. If I knew where to look for wills and the like, I would go and have a look for you.
Have you any idea where I should start. Cos I haven't a clue!!!
Thanks
Richard Denton

Geoffers
31-01-2008, 2:59 PM
There is an annual index to probate records since 1858. It has been copied onto microfilm and can be seen at most County Record offices/Local Studies Libraries. It is really easy to use, with names listed alphabetically by surname, then forename. The index can also be seen at mormon church (LDS) record centres.

There is enough detail in each entry to be able to identify individuals. Typically you might find a name, when and where he/she died; possibly an occupation, if he/she died away from home, there might be an additional address. Value of estate, to whom probate/admon was gramted. The executors/administrators names are given, often a relationship to the deceased, sometimes and occupation, sometimes an address.

SBSFamilyhistory
31-01-2008, 3:04 PM
Hi both

The first port of call for will is the National Archives..

See below and hope it helps.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/?source=home

arthurk
31-01-2008, 7:27 PM
There's a copy of the post-1858 probate records index at Lincolnshire Archives (St Rumbold Street, Lincoln). If you're researching Lincolnshire ancestors and live in Lincoln, it's somewhere you'll need to get familiar with, as they have a lot more that you'll need to look at. There's no charge to use the archives, but you will need to register. Read all about them here (http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Archives/).

Arthur