PDA

View Full Version : Church Registers of East Clandon and Cobham

Leif Ostermann, Denmark
29-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Can any one tell me how and where to find the old church registers (1740 - 1805) for East Clandon and Cobham? Where are they kept (or copies of the church registers) so that I can get access to looking into them. I am coming to England in the beginning of August?
Thank you and best regards
Leif Ostermann

Mythology
30-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Both are at Surrey History Centre in Woking.

East Clandon may appear to be missing in their downloadable Guide to what they have at first sight - that's because they list it as "Clandon, East" with no cross-reference.

(And make sure that you don't confuse Cobham with Chobham!)

Jane M
30-07-2006, 7:52 AM
Hi Leif,
If your going to be based in London, the Society of Genealogists (SOG) has some Surrey parish registers.

They have CLANDON West but couldn't see Clandon East. Cobham, St. Andrews is there :) Visit the web site & check everything out before you go (you do have to pay to use their facilities, a full day is 18 pounds) It might be more cost/time effective to use the SOG rather than a trip down to Woking which might take you an hour & a half each way.
Before you visit make sure you're well organised with what you need, if it's your first visit to a family history centre(FRC) it can be VERY distracting with all the 'goodies' you want to look at.
If I can help with any burials or marriages for those places, let me know as I have the CD's, which will save your time.
Have fun,

Jane

Ann Sargeant
30-07-2006, 8:56 AM
Hi Leif
The original Parish Registers for East Clandon and Cobham are at Surrey History Centre which is the County Archive at 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey. Their holdings include:

Cobham Baps 1562-1925 Marrs 1562-1928 and Burials 1562-1927

East Clandon Baps 1559-1909; Marrs 1560-1838; and Burials 1558-1812 (but there are microfilmed copies at the centre covering later dates: Baps 1559-1909; Marrs 1560-1875 and Burials 1558-1879)

I hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit.
Ann, Hampshire UK

idredge
31-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi now that Aug is nearly over I wonder if you managed to get here and visit Woking family History Centre.

I live not far about 5 mins in the Car, so I can pop over if you need help. But not the last two weeks in Sept as I will be in Cyprus.

In the mean time have you check out 'Hugh Wallis Batch numbers' this site (IGI) but list under county and then parish. This site is parish records, not all are there as they are still doing this site, there is a bit more than the IGI as well. You put in the surname for either christenings or marriages.

Good luck, and don'tforget if I can help please just ask

Irene

Ann65
31-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Also based in Woking.
Families interests all firmly bedded in the Midlands tho!!

Hi Irene good to meet a fellow addict.

If you are coming into Heathrow there is a shuttle bus service that runs to Woking and back, that might or might not be a useful bit of information.
Best of luck, either way.