PDA

View Full Version : Jane Hudson b. C1824

PBaker
23-07-2006, 5:00 PM
I have been trying to trace a branch of our family tree and have come up against a sticking point. Jane Hudson born c.1824 d.1865 Buried Earl Stoham Church Suffolk

The Jane Hudson we are missing information on was the first wife of Edmund Baker of Gipping, Suffolk. They married 7 August 1855 at the parish church of Benefield, Oundle District of Northhamptonshire.

The information we believe to be correct from later Gipping Cencus gives her date of birth around 1824. Her Place of Birth is confused, on the marriage Certificate it is Livedon (a Lyvedon is near Upper and Lower Benefield?) but listed as Benefield on the later Gipping Cencus. (However Edmund is also spelt incorrectly on the marriage certificate as Edmond.)

We believe her father was John Hudson of Benefield
and her mother Elizabeth Hudson born c1785 (from Gipping 1861 cencus)

An IGI search comes up with a christening of a Jane Hudson on 27th June 1824 at Benefield, Northhampton. But no maiden name of her mother.

John Luke Hudson and Edna Hudson acted as Witneses of the Marriage. There are also IGI christening returns for these two names along with another Elizabeth Hudson with the same parents and parish.

We believe Lyvedon is/was a hamlet of Benefield west of Oundle, but have as yet found no positive match as yet for Jane Hudson on a search of Northhamptonshire 1851 Cencus.

We have no idea how they met however there do appear to be a large number of Bakers in the area but it is a relatively common name.

We are also unsure why they required a marriage by Licence if she came from that parish.

Any informatin would be appreciated if you can help.

with thanks

WaltonAus
26-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Hello, Looking on LDS I found the following Jane who seems to fit.

Jane Hudson
Ch: 27 JUN 1824 Benefield, Northampton
Father: John Hudson
Mother: Elizabeth

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
I006182 Film
*if this is the right Jane these could be her siblings all born in Bebefield to John & Eliz.

Edna Hudson Ch: 13 MAY 1827
Hannah Hutson Ch: 13 AUG 1820
Henrietta Hudson Ch: 03 JUL 1814
ELIZABETH HUDSON Ch: 29 APR 1812
JOHN LUKE HUDSON Ch: 05 JAN 1810
*and this marriage.

JOHN HUDSON
Spouse: ELIZABETH LEATON
M: 01 JAN 1809 Benefield, Northampton

Source Information:
Batch Number: 8531531
Sheet: 34
Source Call No.: 1396129 Type: Film
*and this possible birth for Eliz.

ELIZABETH LEATON
B: 29 MAY 1785
Ch: 10 JUL 1785 Benefield, Northampton
Father: THOMAS LEATON
Mother: HANNAH

Source Information:
Sheet: 29
*and this marriage for Elizabeths parents.

THOMAS LEATON
Spouse: HANNAH CHAPMAN
M: 22 OCT 1783 Benefield, Northampton

Source Information:
Sheet: 41
Kind Regards
Peter Euston.

PBaker
26-09-2006, 6:35 PM
I appreciate your help, the information appears to be the correct family. I spent a few pounds on the Ancestry web site to view a few of the census and build the tree, allowing for transciption errors the family matches up. The information you gave me has allowed me to further my branches in of the tree and explained an 'Uncle Sam' that had great ties to the family and was always talked about by a great Aunt.
I have also found why there is little information available other than census data. The Hudson family and thier ancestors don't appear to be very prolific. All Jane Hudson's siblings appear not to have had children or the children have died or dissappeared from the census at young ages. 'Uncle Sam' was the last in line except for our branch of the family.

Further family names that appeared for short times were Whitney, Simpson and Selby.

Should you like another challenge 'Uncle Sam' was Samual Simpson Whitney, born c 1861 ( sometimes on Census transcibed as Simpton)
he was Married to Isabel Albreda (nee Selby) born c1860.

On the 1891 cencus ref RG12/1222 Pilton, Northamptonshire they had a daugher Joy (could also be Ivy?) aged about 1. I can find no other evidence for Joy or Ivy. Did she die young or has she been transcibed wrong?

Should you wish to consult my Ancestry tree please request a view on that website and I'll share it, it is called 'hudson baker'.

with thanks