PDA

View Full Version : Rev Stanley, Great Ness Vicarage, Shropshire, 1923

brad
23-07-2006, 8:27 AM
I have a family member who went to stay with the Rev. & Mrs. Stanley at Great Ness Vicarage in Shropshire in 1923.
Is there any way to research or find out more about these family friends. More details about them I do not have.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

s.g.d.
28-08-2006, 4:23 PM
hello Brad

Rev Frank John Stanley was vicar of the parish from 1906 - 1925.

s.g.d.

s.g.d.
28-08-2006, 4:39 PM
there is a picture of Rev Stanley and his wife

s.g.d.

s.g.d.
29-08-2006, 11:07 PM
hello again,I thought that you might like to read this:

Frank John Stanley

Was instituted Vicar in 1906. He died November 1924, and was buried at Great Ness, near South wall of the Church. Mr Stanley was a brilliant preacher. He will be long remembered for his independence of mind and courageous speaking. Pretension, in any sphere, he hated like poison and no one could puncture it with more deadly precision.

This outspokenness sometimes gave offence but because there was love behind it all he made no enemies; he certainly could be sarcastic as from the leaflet he issued:-
“ TO OUR PEOPLE OF THIS PARISH OF GREAT NESS, SHREWSBURY.
In preparing the matter for our Parochial Magazine, “The Border Churchman” for this month (January, 1923), the Vicar was “inspired” with the idea embodied in the lines given below, thinking that it would attract far more general attention than the pious wish for “spiritual blessings,” and perhaps do more good in the end in the direction of making people THINK. The worthy Editor evidently THOUGHT that it was “inspired” for BELOW ; for he did not allow it to appear!

NEW YEARS WISHES, UP TO DATE, 1923.

May this coming year bring you endless good cheer-
Full of plenty of “meat,” and abundance of “beer.”
Of finest “Old Scotch” and unfailing quantum:
Prime “baccy” and “cigs” whenever you want’ em.
Your profits all growing; your capital too.
Your wages abundant, and little to do.

More nice hours in bed, not only on Sunday,
But all other days ‘twixt Friday and Monday.
Dances, and whist drives, and sweepstakes galore;
And a “tanner” each week in the popular “draw”
A visit to Church at Harvest Thanksgiving,
To thank the great God for all you good living.
And when the time comes that you bid earth “good-bye”
Then soar like an aeroplane up in the sky.

Mr Stanley’s great work was to continue the Restoration of 1880,
And for this task nearly 700, was raised. It was uphill work all the way and this, with the heavy anxiety of the Great War years, undermined his health and his last few years were of trail in sickness and weakness. The Restoration, under the direction of Mr Lloyd Oswell, was thorough and good, and Churchpeople to-day owe a good deal of comfort to the energy and perseverance of their good Vicar.

s.g.d.

brad
30-08-2006, 9:18 AM
s.g.d.
Thank you. I was afraid that I would have to wait for the 1931 census, and then I would have been disappointed as he had already passed away by then. Now that I have a name to work with and the useful links that you attached too.
How did you come by this information?

s.g.d.
30-08-2006, 6:30 PM
hello,

Most of this information was taken from a book titled "the Story of Great Ness" which was written by Rev.F.Brighton in 1933.

if I can be of any further help,please feel free to ask.

s.g.d.