PDA

View Full Version : Census lookup please -Mary Ann Ashton

DelB
06-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone,
My Great Grandmother was Mary Ann Rollitt/Ashton/Binns. She was born abt 1823 from her death certificate and her marriage certificate to Andrew Binns in 1860 at St.Swithin, Lincoln. I haven't been able to track her birth as yet but I am hoping if I can find her through a census it will help.
In 1852 she was Mary Ann Ashton, married to William Ashton and their daughter Mary Ann Ashton was born 1852, place of residence, Much Lane, St.Peter at Arches, Lincoln. I have also found her in the Lincoln Directory for 1857 living at No 24 Broadgate and that is the address on her Marriage Certificate to Andrew Binns in 1860.
If anyone has access to the 1851 and 1861 census I would be most grateful if you could find her and family (families).
Thanks, DelB

Geoff Everitt
11-11-2004, 5:32 PM
1861, 24 Broadgate

Arthur Binns 40 Builder, Yorks B??kisland*
Mary Ann Binns 38 Lincoln
William K(?) Ashton (son in law) 16 Lincoln
William Binns (son) 11 Scholar, Lincoln **
Charlotte E Binns (dau) 9 Scholar, Lincoln
Mary A Ashton (d-in-law) 8 Scholar, Lincoln

In those days, "son in law" often meant stepson

* Looks like Burkisland or maybe Bushisland, but I can find no such place.
** In the disability column, I think it says "Dumb from birth"

DelB
15-11-2004, 5:29 AM
Many thanks Geoff - yes this is my family!
The Arthur should be Andrew, and his birthplace was Barkisland in Yorkshire.
Mary Ann Binns is my great-grandmother and the family is a mix of Andrew's family and Mary Ann's. Both were widowed, so the son-in-law and dau-in-law are definitely step children.

I am so grateful for this find as I have been unsuccessfully chasing Mary Ann's birthplace and now I know it was Lincoln I can follow that up. Neither her marriage certificate nor her death certificate showed her place of birth, only her birth to be in the first half of 1823.
Many thanks again - much appreciated.
DelB

Annie
15-11-2004, 8:35 PM
Hi DelB
did you know that the main department store in Lincoln is called Binns? Just thought I'd mention it

Annie

DelB
16-11-2004, 1:30 AM
Hi Annie,
No I didn't! I really don't know much about this family at all but I have found a Binns Family website which I hope will be a help.
Thanks for the info.
DelB

Geoff Everitt
16-11-2004, 10:30 AM
The name Binns (on the shop) is comparatively recent - it was Mawer and Collingham's for many years and Mawer before that (100? years ago). Binns is/was part of the House of Fraser group. At one time every Sunderland bus had "Shop at Binns'" on its side.

DelB
17-11-2004, 3:22 AM
Thanks Geoff for that info. My Great-grandfather was a stonemason/builder/concretor according to various certificates and all his family were in building of some sort. Now I wonder which branch of the family went into retail!
Cheers, Del