PDA

View Full Version : 1871 coroners inquest Bikenhead

mark77
22-07-2006, 4:05 AM
Hi Everybody
I recieved a death certificate for my gggrandfather, Christopher Duffy today, on it his cause of death is listed as "fracture and dislocation of spine feloniously caused", does this mean that he was murdered?.
The information was recieved from the coroner for south Cheshire, the inquest was held 18 October 1871, can anybody tell me where i can get any more infomation about this?.

I would be very grateful

Mark.

Wirral
22-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Mark
The inquest will probably have been reported in the local newspapers. I'll have a look next time I go to the library. What was Christopher Duffy's age & where exactly did he die?

mark77
22-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Wirral
Thanks for the reply. Christopher Duffy's age is given as "about 40 years" and the death certificate just says he died on the 14th October 1871 Birkenhead, and the inquest was held on the 18th October 1871.
Any info you can give me will be brilliant and i would be very grateful.
Regards Mark

Wirral
12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Mark

Been to Birkenhead library at last. A real scandal in the family! :eek:
Christopher Duffy's stepson. James Whalley, was charged with his manslaughter. I've taken images of the newspaper reports (Birkenhead News or Chronicle), so if you send me your email as a prvate message I can send the images to you. The articles are much too long for me to type out.

mark77
13-08-2006, 2:33 PM
Hi Wirral.
Just to say the newspaper report you sent me was brilliant, i was over the moon. I was going to thank you in a private message but wanted everyone to know what a gem you are.
Once again THANKS
Mark