PDA

View Full Version : workhouse births.

madbat
21-07-2006, 5:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone could clear something up for me. Were the births of children in the workhouse recorded, and if so would they still appear on the BMD index? I believe my great grandmother may have been born in the workhouse, but i have not been able to find her birth listed on the BMD.

Thanks.

busyglen
21-07-2006, 6:40 PM
My brother in law's father was born in a Workhouse, in the late 1800's and I found the entry in the BMD index. What name are you looking for, and period?

Glenys

madbat
21-07-2006, 8:53 PM
My great grandmother's name was Violena Howard, she was born in either 1883 or 1884. She is mentioned on the 1891/1901 census, and her place of birth is listed as Spilsby and then Leverton in Lincolnshire. I have her marriage and death certificates but as yet i have been unable to trace a date of birth, or her parents. Her marriage certificate names John Howard, Deceased Captain as her father( she married in 1909) But i have been unable to trace him. i have some information to suggest that in 1889 she was in Louth workhouse, but nothing more.

Ron Leech
22-07-2006, 9:27 AM
All births must be recorded and by 1883/4 the law had considerably tightened up on registration and alll births should be recorded.

There are a number of questions being raised by the information you have available.

If you are certain this is the right person how old was she in the census listings? Bearing in mind that there was some rounding up and down in age. Who was she living with in each census and where?
Compare the age given on the death certificate does this correspond in timescale with the census? Of course again this may be out dependant upon how well the person reporting the death knew the deceased and what age they thought they were.

FreeBMD does not appear to show her have you tried the Ancestry site?

Violena is a very unusal name searching under that given name and no surname there is only one listing on FreeBMD and she was Violena Wright registered at Linton 1885 September 3b 488b.

Mythology
22-07-2006, 10:16 AM
"Violena Wright registered at Linton 1885 September 3b 488b."

A different surname - possibly the parents married after she was born (or pretended they did) - but there is a dead Violena Wollard 1887 Sep Q aged 2, also Linton RD, so I expect that's the same girl and we can probably rule her out of the equation.

Mythology
22-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Or maybe not!

Violena Wollard appears to be "Violenn" on her birth cert, both girls having a Duxford reference on the local site, so we have copycat friends by the look of it.

janbooth
22-07-2006, 11:42 AM
The actual 1891 census image (RG12/2608, folio 148, page 7) in Utterby for "Vilena HOWARD" gives her birthplace quite clearly as Spalding not Spilsby - maybe another place to try. I have looked through the actual GRO Index for 1883-5 for a Violena HOWARD and have been unable to find her. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

busyglen
22-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I also had a look, but could only come up with Violetta Howard, 1882 Mar.Qtr. Weardale, which I think is in Durham, so no good.

Sorry.

Glenys

madbat
22-07-2006, 8:07 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions. My great grandmother does appear to keep the same name, violena Howard throughout her life. The earliest reference to her is in 1889 in Boston Workhouse minutes when her age is given as 6. In 1891 census her age is given as about 7, and she is down as a lodger with a family of Hawkers. In 1901 census she is a servent, age 17 in ludborough lincolnshire.She died in 192o, june and her age is given as 36.So her age is more or less consistent.

I am begining to wonder if she was born abroad, possibly in Italy. But i can't find anything to confirm this just family rumours.