PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Campbells

Omega
21-07-2006, 2:19 PM
Looking for Campbells originally from Gympie Qld decendants of Mary not sure of spelling - nee Ireland) and Jimmy Campbell. Eldest son Jimmy Jnr drowned early in life then there were 3 girls one was Gert who married a Hubina and lived at 7 Station St Bundaberg there were two other girls one lived at Sandgate or Shorncliffe and the other died of Consumption after giving birth to a boy named Brilie (not sure of this spelling) then was my Grandfather Gilbert Roy who the named Roy who was born around 1984 and married an Agnus Maud Nott around 1915 or 1916 in Gympie they moved to Brisbane West End area around 1920. Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Omega

Kymbo
23-07-2006, 6:50 AM
Hi Omega

There is an Agnes CAMPBELL on the partial index of the Queensland Old Age Index

I will keep looking for you

Kym

Kymbo
23-07-2006, 6:53 AM
oops, just realised the time period is a little early for you

Omega
23-07-2006, 7:07 AM
Would this mean she would be old enough in 1909 to get old age pension? If so this is the wrong Agnes Campbell she was Agnes Nott until marring Gilbert Roy Campbell in approx 1916 or 1915 in 1916 she was 17 or 18. It is Gilbert Roy I am trying to link with Agnes was my Mums Mum it is her Dad she has had no contact with since she was 5 yrs of age she is now 90 as of 17/7/06 and I thought I might be able to find some link to him before she leaves us .. which I don't think will be soon she has more energy than me but at this age you expect what you get not what you want and that is she has to stay around for her telegram from which ever ruler we have in 10 years time.. lol .. I do Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Deirdre

Kymbo
24-07-2006, 2:30 AM
Hi Omega

Just found this site on another forum

Click on the search our cemetery records....

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_899

Kym

Omega
24-07-2006, 8:22 AM
Couldn't find a campbell but found My Great Grandfather & Mother at Dutton Park Cemetry the are buried together (sweet) thanks for help Maybe grandfather is buried in Gympie so I will see if they have a council site like bcc thank you again you are a terrific help

Deirdre

Omega
24-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I went to Gympie council web page couldn't find a way into a listing of grave sites like bcc so sent an email to the Mayor to find out how to do this search now I just wait to see if I get an answer.

I got an email back from Mayor's office directing me to Gympie Historical Society so I emailed them. Waiting again this is a game of patients isn't it. One thought you would type in a name and then be able to access files in archives births deaths and marriages all over the world .. if you can believe the privacy act activists..lol.

Deirdre

Omega
28-07-2006, 2:40 AM
Found out today from a friend I met when I was around 30 which is 30 years ago and who turned out to be related to Mary Campbell that Mary's surname was Ireland but I am not sure of the spelling neither is she. Also on talking to my Mum today it would appear that Mary died in Brisbane in 1932 she is not sure if she is buried in Brisbane or Gympie but Mum said that James (Jimmie) Campbell died before that by a few years around 10 she thinks very vague on this, but he was buried in Gympie even though he died in Brisbane and he wanted his eldest son also James (Jimmie), who died by drowning when he was a child, dug up and reburied with him. People are funny cattle.

I dont know if this helps you help me but thought you may be interested anyway to know what else I had found out. It's good to be able to tell someone my husband is getting sick of me pratteling on about this.

Deirdre

ps: still waiting to hear from Gympie Hystorical Society.

Kymbo
28-07-2006, 8:14 AM
Hi Omega

Your reply from any Historical Society will probably be advice of the fee schedule to do a search for you....you might be lucky though.

I am planning to go to my local historical society for a few hours tomorrow, so I will have a look for you.

Being on the Gold Coast, they have heaps of Queenland 'stuff' as well as lots of other resources. My Australian lot stem from the Monaro area SE NSW, Albury NSW & Victoria's Gippsland area. I have only had 1 need to look up anybody in Queensland, a distant sideline rellie who took off from his family & settled up here. A few weeks ago I drove for 3 hours to get a picture of his headstone, only to find it was just a patch of dirt with a number marker.

The story goes that after he took off from NSW, years later his daughter moved up here too. He had a huge property & left it to this daughter ( she died in 2000), she left it to her son ( he died 2001), he left it to his son who is currently aged about 30. I said to my husband how ashamed I was that there was no headstone. Although his daughter & son inlaw, buried just next to them have quite a grand marble headstone. Yet this man left his huge farm & acerage to them & they couldn't even show him respect & give him a nice piece of concrete with his name on it.

Now I'm rambling....

Anyway, will let you know what I find

Kym

Omega
29-07-2006, 2:10 AM
Good luck at your historical soc. We don't have one over here at Russell Island. I know this is not a chat site but can't help myself I chat in my sleep.
About your rellie's head stone. We are dealing with names and numbers here not personalities...I could be way off base here.....but you have got to live with someone to know them. Then he could have been just so nice he spioled them rotten. Then there is the fact of drought what was the weather like around when he died they may have been strapped for cash.

Going now

Deirdre

Kymbo
29-07-2006, 9:01 AM
Hi Deidre

Posting 1 of 2

Here is what I was able to find out in the few hours I had at my research library today.

Microfische @ GHFHS BDM Qld 1829-1889

These fische don't have the town that the event occured.
The Ireland surname is spelt a few different ways*

James Watson CAMPBELL married Mary Ann SLAND* 3 Oct 1874

Their children:

Florence Beatrice born 18 Sep 1876 (Mother Mary Ann Iland*)
married Edmund Brierly SMITH 20 Jun 1906
Athel Laura born 18 Apr 1881 (Mother Mary Ann Iland*)
James Arthur born 29 Jun 1883 (Mother Mary Ann Iland*)
died 15 Nov 1892
Violet Mabel born 1 Mar 1886 (Mother Mary Ann Hand*)
died 25 Nov 1887 *Mother Mary Ann Iland*)
Archibald Leslie born 23 Aug 1889 (Mother named as Mary Ann Iland* )
died 3 Aug 1890
Gilbert Roy born 30 Sep 1893 (Mother Mary Ann Iland*)
married Agnes Maud NOTT 2 Dec 1915
issue Claris Maud born 17 Jul 1916

Joseph there is an entry for a death for this bloke 14 Oct 1911, parents James & Mary Campbell....may or may not be your lot??

On the records for the 1922 QLD Electoral roll Gilbert Roy is living at Church Street West End, he being a railway employee (that could be a lead to find further info on him). There is an Agness* CAMPBELL living at Lord Street, Childers doing home duties.

There is a Maud Gertrude CAMPBELL marrying a Frank HUBNER 26 Apr 1906, however I couldn't find a birth record for her. I found 2 children for Frank & Maud, they are Basil Lawrence born 28 May 1914 & Mavis Dorothy born 4 Feb 1908. Records of the 1922 QLD Electoral roll have Frank & Maud living @ Station Street Bundabery, he a labourer, she doing home domestics.

There could be other registrations that I overlooked also.

Cont' on next posting

Kym

Kymbo
29-07-2006, 9:34 AM
Hi Omega

Posting 2/2

The following entried were from books @ GCFHS. Some have headstone transcription, but not many.. Some are probably not your lot, but may fit in down the track ALL have surname CAMPBELL, date is probably date of burial.

These are at Gympie Two Mile Cemetery. Name, Date, Section, Number, age if listed.

Adam Robert 29 Dec 1989 L2 777 age 22
Alfred Bennett 24 Jan 1931 PPB 248
Archibald 4 Aug 1890 PP 14
(ARCHIBALD WAS REMOVED FROM THE ABOVE PLOT 22 APR 1926 & IS NOW @ PSB 5a)

Catherine 11 Aug 1896 RCS 58
Elizabeth 30 May 1922 MPS 90
Elizabeth Maud 16 Mar 1943 CEPC 147
Elva 27 Jan 1993 L3 686 age 74
George Burns 11 Oct 1954 PP 290

ins- died 10 Oct 1954 age 85 "My Husband and our Father"

James 10 Dec 1990 L3 686 age 73

ins- Jim born 27 Jan 1917, died 7 Dec 1990 "My husband", also Elva born 17 May 1918 died 23 Jan 1993 "His wife, our sister and Aunt"

James Arthur 17 Nov 1892 PP 14
(JAMES ARTHUR WAS REMOVED FROM THE ABOVE PLOT 22 APR 1926 & IS NOW @ PSB 5a)

James Watson 19 Sep 1925 PSB 5
Jessie Burns 19 Nov 1953 PP 89
Jessie Dunn 13 Dec 1904 PP 89
John 12 Oct 1887 MS 16
John 6 Oct 1888 MS 15
Kevin 18 Jan 1943 RCPB 415
Lionel John 11 Feb 1889 MO 90
Margaret 12 Feb 1908 PP 88
Margaret Mc Cormack 16 Jan 1970 LC 82

ins- died 15 Jan 1970 aged 65yrs wife of Thomas

Mary Ann 18 Jul 1936 PSB 5
Mary McBlain 21 Feb 1927 PPB 179
Michael 2 Aug 1896 RCS 90
Mrs Gilbert Roy SB Child 27 May 1918 PP 161
Mrs H T SB Child 21 Mar 1916 CEP 410
Mrs Royden Johnathan SB Child 23 Apr 1946 CEPC 147
Robert Burns 12 Jun 1915 PP 88
Rosaline Caroline 9 Dec 1976 LA 82
Royden Johnathan 14 Oct 1966 LA 82

ins- died 13 Oct 1966 aged 62 yrs 3 mths "My Husband, father & grandfather" Also Rosaline Caroline Campbell died 7 Dec 1976 aged 68 years "Parents" "

Scott George 29 Dec 1989 L2 777 age 47
Violet Mabel 26 Nov 1887 PP 14
(Violet was removed from the above on 22 Apr 1926 & now @ PSB 5a)

Wilson Keith H 28 Mar 1990 L2 785 age 86

I couldn't find what came of Gilbert Roy, but perhaps with this info you may be able to track down other CAMPBELL'S & trace him.

Kym

Omega
29-07-2006, 2:45 PM
Hi Kym,

You hit them your a genius. My problem is, Gilbert Roy the phantom was working at Qld Rail ok but he got the sack, this linking up with the split between Nana and him. Story - My grandfather was a very sociable type (polite) he liked to dance, gamble and generally have a good time, (no excuse) my grandmother thought having a good time was staying home with Roy sitting in the lounge chair while she played the piano (which she did very well). Now this was a recipie for disaster and that is what happened. The station master at Gympie station apparantly knew Nana and Roy from their childhood days and on looking through a train window who should he see but Roy and A WOMAN not Nana so he communicates with the next station because Roy is listed as travelling with his wife and obviously this is not his wife so he has committed fraud against Qld Rail. So the proverbial hit the fan and Qld Rail sacked him Nana threw him out and Mum saw him once when she was about 6yrs old (Nana kept them appart she was a little miffed I guess). One day when Mum was around 17/18yrs old Nana and she were walking down Queen Street and Nana said and I quote "That was your father we just passed", Mum spun around but couldn't see him in the crowd and Nana wouldn't point him out. Last sighting.....do you believe in UFOs LOL. I guess the next thing is census records If he was in Brisie when Mum was 17/'18 that would be 1933/1934 so he should be on the census prior and after those years. I wonder if he went bankrupt and changed his name? I could go on for ever here with what if. What do you think, census records. What if I could get his Tax number would that help? Hell I grabbing at straws here. I'll stop.

Thank you for all you have done I am a very happy chappy at this moment.

Sorrrrry another book

Deirdre

Kymbo
30-07-2006, 1:14 AM
Hi Deidre

The latest electoral info for QLD we have at the GCFHS is 1922. That is why when we fill in the census next week we should tick YES at question 60. Obtaining any census records for Australia is a bit of a hit & miss. I don't know how they came across these records for 1922, but I am glad they did.

I'll keep my eyes open for any other info & let you know if I unearth anything

Kym

Omega
30-07-2006, 5:24 AM
Hi Kym

I gave my Mum the info you gave me over the phone this morning and she was so happy to have some info that she cried and said to pass on my thanks. As I am at a little brick wall with Gilbert Roy at the moment I thought I would go to Scotland and start a new thread in Argyll to go back some more. If there is someone as tenacious and helpful as you there I am heading back in time.

Roses and Champagne to you

Deirdre

Kymbo
30-07-2006, 9:41 AM
Hi Deidre

I have been trying NAA site all day to see if Gilbert served in WW2, but the site has been down all day.

As for Scotland, I have been very successful in my research for my Elborn & Cameron lines in the Glasgow area. I use the following sites;

Scotlands People.
Talking Scot.

Good luck

Kym

Omega
31-07-2006, 4:57 PM
Hi Kym

Thanks for the links I'll try them.

Deirdre

Omega
01-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Kym

I did a little maths Gilbert Roy would have been 45-46 years old in 1939 I think they would have classed that as to old for the first intake and by 1944-1945 he would have been 51-52 and too old. I am not sure of this it is just a logical guess. How have you been going on naa I have not had a hit even with people I know for certain have been in the services. My husbands uncle was in Changi and I can't get him up. I know I had little chance at first I was looking for Robert Herman instead of Hurman but he didn't come up. I have tried Gilbert Roy there no hit. He truely became the phantom after 1922 I wanted to ring Qld Rail and see if they still had his tax number on file but being an std call my husband vetoed that thought. Then I don't know if the ATO would give me any info any way.

After the high of you finding all the other info for me I've gone flat.
It gets frustrating when you keep running into brick walls doesn't it. I will just have to go stay with Mum for a while and go look at records at Library, Justice Dept and anywhere else I can think of. If my daughter can get time off work we can go on a little day trip to Gympie although no sooner do we get there we will have to come back I suppose. On msn Australian surnames a member says she lives walking distance from cemetery and will go look for me for birthdates on grave stones so I said yessssssss pleeeeeeeeease. Hope to hear back from her in a couple of days.

Deirdre

Kymbo
01-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi Deidre

I just thought we should eliminate if he had been on home duties etc., you never know.

I did find today at my family history society a Western Australian death registration for a Gilbert Campbell on 28 May 1959, buried at Harvey Cemetery WA, in the Methodist section. Source: AGCI CD ROM Ref: WACEMTRAN 1/004 A07. Could be a different Gilbert.

The fiche I had a look at have the deaths up to 1964, nothing further for privacy reasons. Do you think he lived past that date?.. I wonder if you could contact BDM Brisbane & ask them if you can order a death certificate without a date of death, if you provide all the other info.

Also, was he from Scotland??? Do you think he may have returned??

The ladies & I at the society had a "think tank session" trying to find ways but we came up with nothing. We did go through all the cemetery indexes in & around Brisbane, but nothing

I will still keep an eye out for you...

Oh, & do you think he stayed in contact with extended family members or his siblings etc.

Kym

Kymbo
01-08-2006, 11:05 AM
AND.....

I had a couple of credits left at Scotlands People & did a search for any gilbert Campbell death for 1920-1955 (1955 is the limit of years) & came up with the following:

1922 age 68 @ Maybole AYR
1930 age 44 @ Barrhill AYR
1932 age 71 @ Hillhead GLASGOW
1943 age 76 @ Springburn GLASGOW
1947 age 70 @ Glenmoriston INVERNESS
1950 age 64 @ Leith EDINBURGH
1953 age 61 @ Coylton AYR
1932 age 46 @ George Sqaure EDINBURGH

Kym

Omega
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Kym

You have been busy on my behalf thank you and thank you to the ladies in the think tank I hope I didn't cause too many headaches..lol....I know Gilbert Roy was born in Gympie 30/9/1893 and he married my grandmother 2/12/1915 and looking at the dates one understands why it didn't work out in the end, even without knowing about the personalities of the pair of them...lol...that Gilbert Campbell on 28 May 1959, looks interesting though. He may have stopped using the Roy when he went interstate, I don't know the reason for him using Roy to start with. I am firing Mum up to go get records. After 1922/1923 when marriage split Mum was told nothing about her Dad the split was bitter. She also lost contact with cousins and aunts her Mum was really p.o.ed. All this info I do have you got for me anyway why am I telling you it all again? but that 1959 one could do it if I'm lucky.

Thanks Kym

Deirdre ps I don't know if he went to Scotland but those dates don't fit but thanks anyway

Omega
07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Kym

I tried the Harvey Cemetery lead when to Australian Cemeteries and searched Harvey C but came up with nothing. I posted onto a WA site so will see if I get anything back from that.

He is depressing me. He's got me dreaming about him.

Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

Deirdre

ps do you want me to try and post a photo of him when he was 6 with his mum?

Kymbo
08-08-2006, 6:30 AM
Hi Deidre

Spent a bit of time looking for "Roy" today. There were different ladies on duty at the society so I asked for their help & results were the same as last week.

However one of them mentioned that the QLD state archives or QLD state library will have a copy of every electoral roll up to the current date.

So at least you could see what his movements were. You used to be able to access these fische at any electoral office, but for privacy reasons you can only access them in each state capital..

Maybe go online & see what the library & archives holds etc.

Kym

Omega
09-08-2006, 6:22 AM
Hi Kym

I am going over to spend a few days with Mum very soon....sooner than my husband wants and longer to... LOL....impatient to get on with this before I loose my mind. To the point, I will add this to by to do list, thanks for the thought and thanks to you for your help and the ladies at your historical soc. whish we had one here on Russell Island according to the lady at our library there are a few of us here on the Island going on with this genealogy business. It might be a small place with only 3,000+ people (kids included) but you would be amaized how you miss something right under your nose. I know of one other lady because when I went down to the library a couple of weeks back there was a lady getting photocopies done and I glanced at her papers and saw a web address I reconised and was all over like a rash and got a few web places to look at. Fanatic my huby says. lol

Thanks again

Deirdre

Kymbo
09-08-2006, 1:19 PM
Hi Deidre

I know what you mean about dreaming about Roy, he is popping up in my dreams too. I think I was a detective in a previous life, cos' I love to find the facts on anything, leave nothing unsearched.

Just a word of warning with your visit to Brisbane. The State Library is having a huge refurbishment & will be re-opening in November. I am not sure where the records for the electoral rolls would be held at the moment. Maybe ring the Brisbane Electoral Office & when they give you the answer, ring that department & check on business hours & whether you have to make an appointment etc. It would be a shame to get to Brisbane only to find you couldn't do any research....but then again you could go on a shopping spree at the factory outlets hehehehe

Kym

Omega
09-08-2006, 2:09 PM
Oooooooooh, Kym I do like the way your mind works, did you say your name was Wilma Flintstone? I think I saw somewhere in my syber travels that the main record room is now in one of the Subburbs of course I didn't write it down so I will ring the central library when I get to Brisy and see where I go from there. Mum and I want to pick up 3 or 4 marriage licences so I have plenty to do. I need my great grand parents Nott, my great grand parents Campbell, my grand parents Campbell, and I don't know if mum has hers, I have mine. That will cover the Australian contingent of my family, I have to send away for the Bateman side in england I have the reference numbers for grand and great grand there. Then I will start on the Taylors. Every thing you find makes more to find and you can't stop it's addictive and I love it.

I'll keep you informed.

Thank you for all your help.....and the great shopping idea I'll tell my hubby that I got the idea online.

Deirdre

Omega
18-08-2006, 7:28 AM
Hi Kym

I haven't disappeared of the face of the earth

Haven't had a chance to go to Brisbane yet....Tax man has taken my time at the moment.lol. I'll get him out of the way and then I think I am appointment free until November. Hope.

Deirdre