PDA

View Full Version : Problems ordering certificates

keziah
15-07-2006, 4:09 PM
Back in January I ordered online 2 marriage certificates from the mid 1800s using only the info available on ancestry (ie no exact date and no GRO number). I have tried to order a birth and a death certificate today. For the birth cert I needed a GRO number- the helpful help button said to get that I had to visit- if I could visit I wouldn't need to order on line! The death cert wants an exact date of death... if I knew that I wouldn't be wasting money ordering the certificate! It is so frustrating. Is it because of the backlog, or am I doing something wrong?

Peter Goodey
15-07-2006, 4:50 PM
I'm afraid I'm not at all clear what information it is that you've got from Ancestry

Pam Downes
15-07-2006, 8:04 PM
The most relevant question is - from where is Keziah ordering the certificates? I know of one particular company which asks for information such as bride's maiden name, date and place of marriage, when you applied for a marriage certificate. i.e. you were expected to have all the info, which because you didn't have it, was the reason why you were applying for the certificate in the first place. And after you'd told the company all this, they then still charged you something like twenty-five quid for supplying the certificate.
Keziah, the only online URL you should use is http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
or one which links to pages headed General Register Office.

(Just double-checked via google, the charge is £23 , delivery 15-22 days. Tee-hee-hee - the other company listed in 'sponsored links' says the date for a certificate must be between January 1837 and June 2004. Muppets.)
Pam

busyglen
17-07-2006, 9:40 AM
Keziah, if you used the free BMD on Ancestry, to search, then you will have the actual GRO index. When you search, you will have the quarter, and the actual page where you find the name of your rellie, will give you the volume and page number on the right hand side.

I've re-checked the procedure, and it `does' say that the GRO index must be given for on-line ordering. If you do not have the reference, then you can telephone. I assume that if you do, they will be able to ask for various check points to help you.

Hope that helps.

Glenys

keziah
21-07-2006, 7:16 PM
I've obviously been a bit thick.. I had the page number and volume but assumed the GRO was some sort of unique reference. I will have to have another go.

busyglen
22-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Good luck! I'm glad I'm not the only one that misses the obvious sometimes! ;)

Glenys