PDA

View Full Version : DUTTON from Snitterfield

Kinnockthecat
05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Looking for any connection to DUTTONs from Snitterfield. They moved into Leamington about 1840.

Lindad
05-11-2004, 6:52 PM
My Duttons are all from Oxfordshire... the neighbouring county. I wonder if the Oxfordshire Duttons moved to Warwickshire, or the Warwickshire Duttons moved to Oxfordshire?

Most Duttons are from further north (ie. Cheshire) so I guess it's quite likely that any from 'down south' are linked in some way.

janbooth
07-11-2004, 1:37 PM
I don't know if you have the following info from the 1851 census, but there are these 2 DUTTON entries with Snitterfield/Leamington connections from the LDS transcript:

Elizabeth WILSON Head W 40 F Snitterfield-War
Fredk. DUTTON Neph - 11 M Snitterfield-War
Martin SMASS Neph U 4m M Snitterfield-War

Address: Warwick Court, Warwick
Census Place: Leamington Priors Warwick, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2072 Folio: 351 Page: 12 FHL Film: 0087337

Eliza GRIFFITH Head U 27 F Boarding Housekeeper Wellington-SAL
Ellen BARRATT Serv U 22 F Cubbington-WAR
Hannah DUTTON Serv U 24 F Snitterfield-WAR

Address: Portland Street 71, Warwick
Census Place: Leamington Priors Warwick, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2072 Folio: 415 Page: 34 FHL Film: 0087337

There are two other DUTTONs with Snitterfield birthplaces:

James BROOKES Widr(Head) W 39 M Beer Seller Bloxwich-STF
Elizabeth BROOKES Daur - 9 F Scholar Birm-WAR
James BROOKES Son - 5 M Scholar Birm-WAR
Hanh. KIBLER Serv M 27 F House Maid Birm-WAR
Thos. DUTTON Lodg U 35 M Bricklayer Snitterfield-WAR
Adam DUTTON Lodg M 30 M Bricklayer Wilmcote----
William THOMPSON Lodg M 24 M Bricklayer ----SOM
Eliza BROOKES Daur - 2m F --- Birm-WAR

Address: Garrison Lane, Bordesley
Census Place: Aston Aston, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2060 Folio: 647 Page: 38 FHL Film: 0087316

William DUTTON Head M 66 M Ag Lab Snitterfield-Warw
Elizabeth DUTTON Wife - 65 F Gaydon-Warw

Address: Pinley Green, Warwick
Census Place: Rowington Warwick, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2072 Folio: 43 Page: 25 FHL Film: 0087336

These are the only DUTTON entries with Snitterfield and/or Leamington connections. Hope they help in some way.

Janet Booth.

Kinnockthecat
09-11-2004, 12:57 PM
My Duttons are all from Oxfordshire... the neighbouring county. I wonder if the Oxfordshire Duttons moved to Warwickshire, or the Warwickshire Duttons moved to Oxfordshire?

Most Duttons are from further north (ie. Cheshire) so I guess it's quite likely that any from 'down south' are linked in some way.

Yes it may be that they are related, some of mine were in Witney in Oxf in the 1901 census and the father George DUTTON died in Lincoln in 1942. Quite how he ended up there I don't know. My grandmother (now deceased) knew some were in Lincoln but didn't know who or when.

However I've no other connection with Oxfordshire apart from that. The Snitterield ones were in the village from at least 1640 to about 1850/60 and I believe one Hannah DUTTON moved back in later years.

Cheers
Phil Dawkins

Kinnockthecat
09-11-2004, 1:00 PM
I don't know if you have the following info from the 1851 census, but there are these 2 DUTTON entries with Snitterfield/Leamington connections from the LDS transcript:

Thank you for the census info Janet, I do however have them. Considering the amount of children (prolific breeders!!!) they had over the years it surprises me that not many are searching the line.

Cheers
Phil Dawkins

Lindad
09-11-2004, 9:48 PM
Considering the amount of children (prolific breeders!!!) they had over the years it surprises me that not many are searching the line.

Cheers
Phil Dawkins
Phil, I've thought exactly the same thing about my Bampton/Witney Duttons. They were a prolific lot too... although it seems a lot of them died young and apparently unmarried.

Kinnockthecat
10-11-2004, 8:56 AM
Phil, I've thought exactly the same thing about my Bampton/Witney Duttons. They were a prolific lot too... although it seems a lot of them died young and apparently unmarried.

Yours are from Witney as well?

I have one living in Witney in 1901......George Wilson DUTTON born Leamington born 1862 he married Elizabeth WALLINGER from Gt Billing. They had two children Mary Elizabeth DUTTON (in 1901 shown as Edith) born abt 1884 and William George DUTTON born 1885 both in Leamington. They may have had more.

George worked for the local gasworks in Leamington and was working at the same in Witney. I found that he died in Lincoln. No idea when or why he was there.

Back to prolific breeding, one of my ancestors Benjamin DUTTOn born abt 1684 had 15 children and I've only traced two of them. His father John DUTTON had 13 of which most survived. You can see them on my DAWKINS website.

John Harvey
25-02-2005, 2:16 PM
My Duttons are all from Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. Have 'spoken' to Lindad about these. Why there seems to be a seperate family group in these areas is slightly puzzling as most are Cheshire based. Mine also seem to have very good in continuing the species.

Kinnockthecat
25-02-2005, 5:00 PM
I'm certain mine originate from Warwickshire and have traced them back to 1640 or so in Snitterfield. However there are/were quite a number around the various villages nearby such as Alcester, Mancetter and Wooten Wawen. From what I remember these villages are within 10 or 12 miles of Snitterfield.

Now, where the Warwickshire Duttons came from or how they came to be in Warwickshire is anyones guess. I would suppose DNA testing would reveal a connection.

As I've stated in previous posts, my lot moved into Leamington and eventually one ended up in Lincoln. The Snitterfield Duttons were quite prolific in the number of children they had and the the number that survived was considerable. So tracing them and connecting up (if at all) to the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Duttons will be quite a task. There were also a number in Suffolk I belive and that is quite a distance away.

It's true that the majority of those with the Dutton surname are from Cheshire and some maybe descended from Odard Dutton the "founder" of the name. But unless one can trace the line convincingly back to him, I feel that most Duttons from Cheshire adopted the name because a) they lived there and b) took the name from the Lord of the Manor so to speak. I can't believe that every Dutton is descended from Odard to be honest. But I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

That is where yDNA testing would come in. From my looking at the Dutton DNA Project none are connected so far. "These findings indicate that each of the representatives of their families are not related to any of the others. The closest match is a five step mutation which involves a relationship that is many of thousands of years ago."[/i] To me, this alone proves that not all Duttons were descended from the Duttons of Cheshire.

In my own case, I run a DNA Project for my surname and we have 8 members and seven results. Two pairs of Dawkins have proved their connections with each other. But neither pair are connected to the other pair. I hope that this is clear...:confused:
The other three Dawkins in the project are not related to any of the others at all.

I don't know whether this helps, but I did enjoy typing it :)