PDA

View Full Version : South Staffordshire Regiment

chester
12-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm new and I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm trying to find out what happened to my husband's great-uncle, Lewis Ladas Hassell. He was a long-time member of the South Staffordshire Regiment. He was born in Kent County in 1893. In WW1 he received a couple of medals (MC, DSO). He rose to at least the rank of Lt.-Col. in this regiment by 1943. There are several references in the London Gazette where I have followed his military career. However I have not been able to find out much else about him. Where did he live? When and where did he die? Where is he buried? Did he have any family? So these are the questions that I am hoping someone here might be able to give me some clues about. I suspect that when he died there would have been some mention in a newspaper - an article or large obituary of some sort? Would the regiment itself have a newsletter that would mention his passing? Any assistance would be wonderful! Thanks.

from B.C. in Canada.

Peter Goodey
13-07-2006, 6:57 AM
The Times, Wednesday, Jul 17, 1963; pg. 1

"On July 15th, suddenly, COLONEL L L HASSELL DSO MC, late of the South Staffordshire Regiment, of The Arms, Lodsworth. Funeral private, tomorrow (Thursday), Lodsworth Parish Church, Petworth, Sussex, at 4.30pm".

Peter Goodey
13-07-2006, 7:21 AM
Death Registration

HASSELL Ladas L.; 69; Midhurst 5H 593

Note the name.

chester
13-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Thanks Peter for both of your messages - very valuable info. for me! I had heard at one time that he might not always go by the name of Lewis, so the name in the death registration doesn't come as a big surprise, but interesting all the same. So, now that I know where and when he died, I can start looking for a transcription of the grave and a full obit. Thanks so much.

Peter Goodey
13-07-2006, 6:01 PM
I only just noticed that you asked about family. Well, he was married and had two daughters...

"The Times, Monday, Apr 30, 1951
The engagement is announced between Peregrine Alexander Rhodes, His Majesty's Foreign Service, only son of Mr and Mrs C E Rhodes, Hambury Bottom, Lulworth Cove, Dorset and Jane Marion, elder daughter of Colonel L L Hassell DSO MC and Mrs Hassell, Pitts Garden, Fittleworth, Sussex"

chester
13-07-2006, 6:08 PM
Oh my goodness!! Well this IS a bonus! An entire new branch of the family I knew nothing about. I LOVE this forum! Thank you very much for your help Peter.

Lizzie Patterson
02-09-2006, 4:08 PM
I am Ladas Hasssell's grand-daughter, daughter of Jane Marion Rhodes (nee Hassell) who is still living. Ladas Hassell is buried in Lodsworth, West Sussex. Have you any other information you could give me regarding your side of the family?