PDA

View Full Version : DREWETT - Edington

adriansmith
11-07-2006, 8:12 AM
Hi All,

I am looking for information relating to the family of Julia Drewett, born c1867 in Tinhead, Edington. I believe that she married George Hemmens of Westbury in September 1884, though I need to confirm this. I would be particularly interested in the parents & siblings of this couple but any other information would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Sharron
11-07-2006, 9:02 AM
Adrian,

There are two Julia Drewetts on the 1871 census which could be yours.

Julia Drewett born c. 1859 and Julia M. Drewett born c. 1863.

Both were born in Tinhead and living in Edington.

Both of their fathers are called William and are agricultural labourers! |banghead|

Any further clues? Was your Julia part of a large family? Julia M. is one of eight children listed.

Peter Goodey
11-07-2006, 10:42 AM
This is a good example of why you can't and shouldn't try to guess family history from census returns alone. If your Julia had been badly transcribed (or missed) you might well have jumped to the conclusion that the remaining Julia was yours and found yourself tracing completely the wrong family.

Presumably you got to the Drewett/Hemmens marriage through a later generation (via the birth certificate of one of the children, I hope). The marriage certificate must be the next step. With luck, this will give you the lead to the right Drewett family.

adriansmith
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Sharron,

Thanks for the fast response.

My nearest relative is George Hemmens. I got Julia's first name [& probable YOB] from the 1901 census & worked out the surname from the Westbury Marriage Index Volume 5a, Page 224. Unfortunately this is all the information I have.

Regards,

Adrian.

adriansmith
11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
This is a good example of why you can't and shouldn't try to guess family history from census returns alone. If your Julia had been badly transcribed (or missed) you might well have jumped to the conclusion that the remaining Julia was yours and found yourself tracing completely the wrong family.

Presumably you got to the Drewett/Hemmens marriage through a later generation (via the birth certificate of one of the children, I hope). The marriage certificate must be the next step. With luck, this will give you the lead to the right Drewett family.

Thanks for the advise Peter. I am very new to this but I see the sense of what you are saying & will guard againt it in future.

Regards,

Adrian.

Sharron
11-07-2006, 3:18 PM
Was George Hemmens married twice? I found a George Hemmens and his wife Julia on the 1891 in Edington. However, the oldest child at home is 14 years of age. This George was born in Winchcombe in Somerset.

I think you really need to look at the marriage certificate for George and Julia.

adriansmith
11-07-2006, 7:33 PM
Sharron,

I don't know about the marital history of George Hemmens but the BMD records suggest that he was born in 1844 while Julia was born c1876 & I had suspected that this age difference could be accounted for by this being a second marriage. I'll have a dig around in BMD to see if I can find a previous marriage for George.

The plot thickens!

Adrian.

adriansmith
25-08-2006, 8:26 AM
Sharron,

I think I've found the answer to the twice married question. Looking at the image of the census I think George's age is 32 rather than 52 as it appears in the transcript, so the issue of a second marriage doesn't arise. Also, Winscombe has been badly transcribed as Winchcombe.

Kiind regards,

Adrian.