PDA

View Full Version : Archive Sponsored Mailing Lists

Ken Boyce
05-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi Rod
Sorry if this is something you have already addressed but I've been out of touch lately

What is your intention regarding the existing mailing lists and their Archives

I would suggest that you send an auto message to each on a regular basis for a short while giving notice of closure

And move the achives over to the forum if thats possible it would be a shame to lose them although I have to admit that they most likely contain a lot of unsnipped duplication which costs money

Regards Ken Boyce

Peter Goodey
05-11-2004, 8:47 AM
For what it's worth, I agree with Ken's sentiments. As a first step, one could block new subscriptions to the mailing lists. And when the mailing lists are out of the way, wouldn't it be nice if the forums could be alternatively (additionally) presented on an NNTP interface so we could read them with a proper newsreader instead of this clunky browser interface.

Ken Boyce
05-11-2004, 10:40 AM
From some of the recent maiings on the lon-eng list here are some listers who are/were oblivious to the new forum despite Rod's ntifications

Diane Grant-Salmon
05-11-2004, 11:12 AM
As Rod mentioned on the email from my Eng Cornwall & Yorkshire mailing lists, telling us about the new BG Forums, a lot of ISP's are blocking them from getting through to people.

My ISP (BT Yahoo) kept putting them all in my Bulk/Spam Folder ..... I found them there when I noticed that I hadn't received anything for a week from the lists.

Despite me informing them several times on the links provided, that these were NOT spam and should be sent to my Inbox ...... they took no notice! :mad:

Eventually I got fed up and 'turned off' their Spam Guard option and just use MailWasher to sort out my own mail. Since I did that, I get them all now of course. :)

Re my Eng Cornwall mailing list ..... when I've received emails from people saying they haven't received anything for weeks, I've written to a couple of them direct at home to tip them off and sent them the link for here, as they never received Rod's email of course.

Rod Neep
05-11-2004, 5:51 PM
Hi Rod
Sorry if this is something you have already addressed but I've been out of touch lately

What is your intention regarding the existing mailing lists and their Archives

I would suggest that you send an auto message to each on a regular basis for a short while giving notice of closure

And move the achives over to the forum if thats possible it would be a shame to lose them although I have to admit that they most likely contain a lot of unsnipped duplication which costs money

Regards Ken Boyce
1. My intention regarding the mailing lists is undecided. In all probability, all mailing list systems (not just ours) will die a natural death due to spam traps and blacklists used by individuals, ISPs and other places along the route of emails. As many as 25% of people are not receiving list mails.

2. Archives from the old mailing lists will not be transferred here. It just isn't practical.

3. Messages have been sent out to peoples, ISPs and other places along the route of emails. As many as 25% of people are not receiving list mails.

2. Archives from the old mailing lists will not be transferred here. It just isn't practical.

3. Messages have been sent out to people on all mailing lists informing them of the new forum system. Not everyone read them of course, and furthermore, not everyone received them.

I deal with about 10 to 30 private messages from people each day who are not receiving list mail, and that gives me an opportunity to send them a "canned" message pointing them to the new lists.

Some of the mailing lists have now gone totally dead, with people moving over here, some (e.g. eng-london) are still quite busy. I hope that they will get the message eventually.

Regards
Rod

Geoffers
05-11-2004, 8:25 PM
I like this forum, I find it far better than the mailing lists. I shall be unsubscribing from all mailing lists and just answering queries here. I particularly like being able to pick up on all new posts since I last logged on - Using this I've found messages posted on forums for counties which I wouldn't normally look at, and been able to answer some of them. I also like the set up of the message boards and find it easy to navigate between different topics/places - and the facility to add one-place studies will be especially useful as the numbers of people subscribed increases (I'm presently ordering my own data into some logical format before hopefully asking Rod to set up a one-place forum for a part of Norfolk).

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Londonwhay
05-11-2004, 8:34 PM
I like this forum, I find it far better than the mailing lists. I shall be unsubscribing from all mailing lists and just answering queries here. I particularly like being able to pick up on all new posts since I last logged on - Using this I've found messages posted on forums for counties which I wouldn't normally look at, and been able to answer some of them. I also like the set up of the message boards and find it easy to navigate between different topics/places - and the facility to add one-place studies will be especially useful as the numbers of people subscribed increases (I'm presently ordering my own data into some logical format before hopefully asking Rod to set up a one-place forum for a part of Norfolk).

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire
I have to say I agree with you Geoffers. As a newcomer to genealogy I have learned far more on these forums than I ever did with the mailing lists, thanks to people like yourself who are willing to search new posts and answer queries. So thank you. :)

Glenda

Rod Neep
06-11-2004, 2:13 AM
Then please, before you unsubscribe from the mailing lists.... go tell people that are still there on the lists the same story, and encourage them to come over here! :)

Yes... this is a much better system!

Regards
Rod

Londonwhay
06-11-2004, 8:06 PM
Then please, before you unsubscribe from the mailing lists.... go tell people that are still there on the lists the same story, and encourage them to come over here! :)

Yes... this is a much better system!

Regards
Rod
I did try on the London list Rod, but I think they ignored me :(

Glenda

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-11-2004, 8:55 AM
I've just told someone else about here this morning on the Eng Cornwall list, I did give the address too. :)

David Sherriff
07-11-2004, 7:50 PM
Rod, glad that I am not the only one to be having problems with paragraphs repeating when they are uploaded to the forum!!!!! And when I went back in to try and edit out the duplicating paragraphs, it just made it worse!!!!!!!!!! Is there any chance of the writers of this software providing a solution to this bug?
I expect that you are aware that the Wholly Genes Forum, which seems to be using the same software, has now added a spell checker to their Forum. It would be a good idea for a spell checker to be added to our Forum as it makes the end result of all the posted messages look so much more professional.

Rod Neep
07-11-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm working on it. Problem is... we don't know where the bug lies, as other boards using the same version of the software don't display the problem.

Regards
Rod

Diane Grant-Salmon
08-11-2004, 9:15 AM
I haven't had this problem with paragraphs repeating at all ....... could the reason for that be the fact that I always preview my message first?

Geoffers
08-11-2004, 9:21 AM
I haven't had this problem with paragraphs repeating at all ....... could the reason for that be the fact that I always preview my message first?
I tried that, without success - for me it the problem appears to occur in responding to messages which need a more complicated and thus more lengthy reply.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Diane Grant-Salmon
08-11-2004, 9:52 AM
I tried that, without success - for me it the problem appears to occur in responding to messages which need a more complicated and thus more lengthy reply.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

I admit that usually my messages are quite short, but my second message on this thread is fairly long:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948

Linda
08-11-2004, 5:28 PM
Hi Diane

It must be because you have a neat desk then;) , and are so careful that you type everything out perfectly the first time and don't have to go back and edit :D

I always Preview posts, and have come across a few with repeated text. I don't bother posting them. A bit of a pain after typing out a long message, but I guess the answer is to keep messages simple without too many links (that's where my messages became garbled, when I inserted links then went back to edit some of the text before and after)

Linda

David Sherriff
08-11-2004, 7:15 PM
In my experience, previewing posts before you do the final post, does not improve the situation. The only consolation is that the edit function to the posted message, is now working for me, and I hope to be able to correct some of the worst gobble-de-gook that is attributed to myself.