PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding Admissions info

Julie Tyrell
08-07-2006, 6:20 PM
I have received the admission info on a relative and don't understand so of it. It reads as

Date of admission: 1/9/1926 - Wednesday
Name: Lewis, Albert
Sex: M
Age 11
Name and address of Nearest Relative: Guardian Officer, Garden St, Stepney
Parish from which sent: Stepney
Observations: Isle of Thanet as from 9/9/26

Discharge October 26th 1926
Name etc as above (I won't repeat this info)
Parish: Stepney
(Isle of Thant Union from 9/6/1926)

Questions:
What does it mean by observations?
With reference to the discharge - he went to Isle of Thanet in October in October 1926 - why does it say in brackets Isle of Thanet Union from 9/6/1926.
Any suggestions would be great, thanks Julie

Ladkyis
08-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Is the admission information from the workhouse? this is called the Poor Law Union Workhouse and each area had its own "union" or Poor law union Workhouse so if the person transferred it would give the name of the place eg Isle of Thanet Union.

I think in this case the heading Observations is for all those comments and notes that don't fit anywhere else in the Admissions Register

There is awebsite for the Wrokhouse but I seem not to have it in my favourites anymore - Google for it, it gives loads of information
Ann

Julie Tyrell
09-07-2006, 9:14 AM
Hi

I have no idea where he was previous to this admission. I know that he was transferred to Hill House (Isle of Thanet workshouse) where he died in 1930.

I am curious to know who the Guardian Officer of Garden Street, Stepney is. I have looked at the Workhouse site and can't find a workhouse at that address.

Thanks for your suggestions Julie