PDA

View Full Version : Haccombe House & Redhills, Exeter

FredP
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
In my mother's family these places were spoken of as in some way connected with my g-grandmother ISETT WILLIAMS. I have found no evidence that she ever lived there, but she may have worked there - she was a laundress.

Can anyone tell me whether in the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s Haccombe House was a large private house, or perhaps used for some institutional purpose?

Thanks for any information, FredP.

AnnB
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Haccombe House was the seat of the Carews. The National Archives has listings of documents held at the Devon Record Office,
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/fedocs.asp?FER=F1407

I think you'll probably find quite a few 'hits' if you put Haccombe and Carew in a search engine.

There may be more info at the DRO site

Best wishes
Ann

FredP
13-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Thank you, Ann. I will look in to these suggestions. Cheers, FredP.

Karina001
17-09-2006, 9:56 AM
Good Morning

I've just read with interest your query on Haccombe House and Redhills. I lived with my parents in a house named Little Haccombe during the late 1970's. It was a large family house situated on the left hand side of Redhills hill, which takes you to Nadderwater and Whitstone.

Could this house be the one your looking for?

Regards

Karina

FredP
19-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Thank you Karina,
I don't really know what I am looking for. As I wrote before, these places seem to have had some importance in my grandmother's and g-grandmother's life but I have no idea what. My mother seemed to think they had lived there after my g-grandfather was killed on the railway in 1858, but I have found no link in any census. I wondered whether it was a sanitorium where one of the children had died, but in view of the previous reply I think she was probably a servant there.Is the house still there, and what is it used for now? FredP.

Karina001
19-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Fred

The house is still there and still a family home. If you look on muli map and use the ariel view of Redhills you can actually see the house. It's detached and white so stands out. Many years ago before other development in Exeter you could see it from many other parts of St Thomas and from Exe Bridges. It stands on a hill so is a very good landmark. I've no idea of the history of the house, but I do remember that it was apparently haunted and the cellar was bricked up....making us all wonder what was down there.

Karina