PDA

View Full Version : Bromsgrove Workhouse Brownleys

SBSFamilyhistory
06-07-2006, 1:13 PM
I had family who show on the 1851 Census as staying in the workhouse.
Last name Brownley,

Sarah Mother

Henry born in Birkenhead
Caroline born in Bolton
and Samuel born in Shropshire

Samuel died in 1857 and Caroline in 1858, did they die in the workhouse prehaps, where would I get any other records of those staying there. this may even show why they came to be there in the first place.

irisrose
06-07-2006, 2:51 PM
Worcester history centre inTrinity Street Worcester might have the records you are looking for, I went there to search for my Tilt relations and they were very helpful.

Peter Goodey
06-07-2006, 3:09 PM
"Samuel died in 1857 and Caroline in 1858, did they die in the workhouse prehaps, where would I get any other records of those staying there. this may even show why they came to be there in the first place."

Firstly, get their death certificates which will tell you where they died (a workhouse address will probably be shown euphemistically).

Secondly, er, unfortunately that's all. Few if any useful records of Bromsgrove Union have survived.

SBSFamilyhistory
06-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Worcester history centre inTrinity Street Worcester might have the records you are looking for, I went there to search for my Tilt relations and they were very helpful.

this is really odd, on the other isde of my family I also have Tilt's... I have an Ellen Tilt from near catshill... ummm

irisrose
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
hi SBS, I have not got an Ellen Tilt so far what other names have you got, I have several Josephs, Williams ,James to name but a few. I think that all the Tilt family were connected, most of mine seem to have come from the Bromsgrove area some lived in Brimstone Lane and Whetstone Lane if you think I may have any information that may be of some help to you let me know.

SBSFamilyhistory
07-07-2006, 10:37 PM
as far as I can make out Ellen's parents were called William and Mary and her maiden name was Parkes. If this part doe ring true, have you heard of an Ann Marie, who was born a tilt in the 1950's. if not I can put you in touch.

SBSFamilyhistory
07-07-2006, 10:39 PM
oh yes I mean to say that yes they lived in the bromsgrove area... well between there and brum catshill/wormash area

irisrose
08-07-2006, 8:53 AM
Hi, can you tell me who Ellen married to. I would love to get in contact with Ann-Marie as my maiden name was Tilt and I was also born in the 1950s.
Some of mine were from Worms Ash nice sounding place dont you think.
Thanks a lot

SBSFamilyhistory
08-07-2006, 6:20 PM
Ellen married a Thomas Williams.

I will tell Anne-Marie of this site and leave the rest to her.

irisrose
08-07-2006, 6:38 PM
Thanks, I will let you know if I come across Ellen in my search.