PDA

View Full Version : Tydfil lodge

welshbeauty
03-07-2006, 8:56 PM
I am trying to find out what Tydfil Lodge was, My grandmother lived in Merthyr Tydfil, (cross street), on her death certificate Tydfil Lodge is listsed.

Can anyone help?, I am searching for info on a John Sullivan from Kerry. Ireland, he came to Wales, do not know when, he married Jane (no maiden name yet) they had 7 children Richard. selina. gwilym(gf),Edith + more.

both Richards were Coal miner hewers.

paulgwilliams
12-09-2006, 4:05 PM
I am trying to find out what Tydfil Lodge was, My grandmother lived in Merthyr Tydfil, (cross street), on her death certificate Tydfil Lodge is listsed.

Can anyone help?, I am searching for info on a John Sullivan from Kerry. Ireland, he came to Wales, do not know when, he married Jane (no maiden name yet) they had 7 children Richard. selina. gwilym(gf),Edith + more.

both Richards were Coal miner hewers.

Hi,
My grandfather died there too, appears it had changed from the Union work House into a hospital when my grandfather died in 1934.

kind regards
Paul Williams

jannic
15-12-2007, 4:20 PM
Hi
If Tydfil Lodge used to be the workhouse then it is now known as St. Tydfils and is a psychiatric hospital, although it used to have general medical wards as well before Prince Charles Hospital opened in the 1960's?
All the best
Jan

Peter Goodey
15-12-2007, 4:48 PM
Paul has answered this. In the case of any place of birth or death shown as 'Something Lodge', it's worth bearing in mind that this was a fairly common euphemism for the workhouse. Of course it may be a normal address but it's something to consider.

Wobbley
23-12-2007, 4:41 AM
"A Union workhouse was built at Thomastown, Merthyr Tydfil, in 1853; it was improved and enlarged in the 1870s, and again in the early twentieth century, and a new infirmary was added in 1899. By 1920, it had accommodation for 450 inmates in the workhouse itself, and for a further 126 in the infirmary. In the early 1920s the name changed from `workhouse' to `Poor Law institution' and later to `public assistance institution'; by the late 1930s it was known as Tydfil Lodge"

Brian