PDA

View Full Version : Portsea Prison

Rich
29-06-2006, 6:14 PM
Can anyone tell me please where to find information on a John BABB who is listed as a convict in Portsea Prison in the 1871 Census. He was born in 'Greatwich' Stafforshire (or similar). Also , how do I find out why he was sent to Prison, and any trial records. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

fairman
25-02-2008, 3:51 PM
Does anyone have any information on H.M Prison Portsea, Portsmouth between 1881-1884. My great, great, grandfather, Edward (Ted) Coleman was an inmate with apparently 53 other guests. Edward was approximately 21 years old, from Shadwell in London. He had been detained for 5 years, with 3 other members of his London gang for 'Larceny'. I believe that the prison was called 'Haibonoit Prison'. I am trying to find out the living conditions, the guards and any information on his fellow prisoners. In hopeful anticipation Neil.

Colin Moretti
25-02-2008, 7:14 PM
Such records as exist will be at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. They publish a number of research guides on convicts, search for them here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp.

I don't think that the records are accessible on-line; a personal visit will be required or, if that's not possible, you'll need to employ a researcher.

Good luck

Colin