PDA

View Full Version : Ostler

squidgychoddah
29-06-2006, 3:19 PM
Hi,
can someone please tell me exactly what an Ostler is or was?

My gg grandfather was one unfortunately I cant find him on any census records as he died in 1839 at a very young age but not before having at least 4 sons. He came from Stoke Newington in London which I think came under Middlesex then.

cheers

Gina

Annie
29-06-2006, 3:25 PM
Hi Gina

Ostler / Hostler Originally, a Hostler was the host of an Inn or (H)ostelry. Later became the man employed to look after the horses of the visitors.

squidgychoddah
29-06-2006, 3:45 PM
Hi Annie

Many thanks for that, next objective is to try and find out where he worked

Gina

looby42
19-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Whilst it was indeed a person working with horses in a hostelry, it was also someone who pulled the trains into the sheds (or something similar). Ths has confused me as I'm not sure which one fits my ancestor but it may give you a clue to yours

Johnboy
18-05-2007, 2:22 PM
Hi,
can someone please tell me exactly what an Ostler is or was?

My gg grandfather was one unfortunately I cant find him on any census records as he died in 1839 at a very young age but not before having at least 4 sons. He came from Stoke Newington in London which I think came under Middlesex then.

cheers

Gina
Just picked up on your message.
There are several possible origins to the surname Hostler/Ostler depending on where it originated. Commonly, Hostler can refer to an inn or stable keeper or indeed to a railroad engineer who moves trains in marshalling yards. One interesting variant however can apparently also refer to a wildfowl hunter from the French/Belgian 'Ouiseau' or 'Ouisleur'. It is thought that this reached the UK, particularly in Norfolk during the Fenland drainage period.
John Hostler