PDA

View Full Version : "Weslyan Mission". Manchester Salford area

shelleyv
04-11-2004, 5:54 AM
:D Hi I have a question, is anyone Familiar with this mission? I believe it is associated with Manchester and Salford Boys' and girl's Refuges. In looking at the many photos in the Manchester archives I came across two pictures of very poor and ragged looking children and it stated Weslyan Missions. It was on the same street as The Crossley Home, George St. Broughton , Salford area. Could these two homes be related?
Thank you all, and again to everyone who has answered my postings.
Shelley V

Guy Etchells
04-11-2004, 9:42 AM
Perhaps the following website may give youmessage=Perhaps the following website may give you an insight into the Manchester Mission.
http://www.biblebelievers.com/gypsy_smith/18.html
Cheers
Guy

shelleyv
04-11-2004, 5:20 PM
:) Hi Guy thank you so much for replying to my post. That was a very interesting site! Now I know that this is not related to the The Crossley Home.I just received a reply re: Crossley Home from the Salford Library. The houses from no. 2 to 12 on George street Salford were orphan homes and the Manager was Leonard K. Shaw. My Grandfather was housed in No. 6 as stated on the 1901 census, 9 years old, Schollar, The Crossley Home. These Children were immigrated to Canada to The Marchmont Home in Bellville Ontario, Not all of them but some. This is where he ended up.She found the addresses for these homes in the Slaters Trade Directory. The only thing she could find was that they were Orphan Homes ,no actual records from the Crossley Home exist in their library.
Shelley

Mrs. Davies
26-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi Shelley, would you know when this Crossley Home first began to operate as an orphange? I'm trying to discover where my grandfather went when he came to England as a 6 yr old boy. He was accompanied on his boat trip from Demerara, Guyana in 1835 by a Mr. Thomas Moss, Liverpool Banker. We don't know who his parents are and we don't know why he'd be sent to England so young? I thought perhaps any money sent over with him might have been stolen and he'd then become an orphan.

By the way, I live only 45 min from Belleville, Ontario (in Kingston, Ontario).

Is there anywhere on the web to read about his home and the children?
Many thanks, Mrs. Davies.

shelleyv
27-10-2005, 2:38 AM
Hi Mrs Davis,

I do have information on the crossley homes and have a list of children's names that were residing there in 1901. What exactly are you looking for? I also have an email address that you can inquire if he was registered in this home. You may privately email me and I'll see how I can Help.There is nothing on the web about this home.

Shelley

skb2
27-10-2005, 3:49 PM
Hi Shelley,
Are there any records showing which children were sent to Canada? Or do you have any information about the Marchmont Home?

I've recently discovered a relative (Lewis BASSETT, nephew of my great grandfather) also living at Crossley Home, George St in 1901.

shelleyv
27-10-2005, 6:10 PM
Hi my Grandfather Henry Brown was sent to this home in 1903 from the Crossley home. I have a link that you can go to regarding the Marchmont Home. It's a great site.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/homechild.html

All the records for the home were sent back to England when it closed. They are under the care of Barnardo's aftercare. You can do a google for this site. You can apply for the records of your relative through them. It cost me approximately 55 dollars Canadian.I do not have a list of children that were sent to Canada from this home but I believe many were sent.
For information of the Crossley home on George street, Broughton, you can email Toby Davison at [email protected] He is the head of Archives for the Boys and Girls Welfare Society formally known as Manchester & Salford Boys' & Girls' Refuge & Children's Aid Society.

I hope this will help you.

Feel free to contact me again.

Shelley

skb2
28-10-2005, 4:53 PM
Thanks Shelley. That's very helpful.

CanadianJP
01-11-2005, 3:17 PM
SKB2 / Shelley
Collections Canada website has a database of Home Children brought to Canada. www.collectionscanada.ca Select Cdn Genealogy Centre, then select databases. Then Select Home Children and you can search the database. I searched for a Lewis Bassett and it shows one entry arriving in Canada 1903 age 12. Arrival is Belleville Ontario. My grandfather was brought to Canada as a Home Child thru the Marchmont Home as well and his arrival location was also Belleville. I have other sites that may help you but will have to dig back in my files to find them. I will post the sites later.
Hope this helps.
Janette

skb2
02-11-2005, 2:18 AM
Janette,
I think it's very likely that it's the same Lewis Bassett - Liverpool would be a convenient departure port, and on the 1891 census his age is given as 3 months, making him around 12 years old in 1903.

I'd be very interested in any further information you have. (I'm away for a few days so no desperate hurry)

Many thanks for taking the time to look :)

CanadianJP
11-11-2005, 3:45 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Here's a link to try (Lewis Bassett is listed) that is an excellent source for BHC.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~britishhomechildren/
Check the BHC Online Database.
Good luck in your search and let me know if I can be of help.
Janette

CanadianJP
11-11-2005, 4:13 PM
Hello again
Try the following site:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/marcpasslist.html
It has numerous passenger lists posted. If you select SS Tunisian April 12 1903, it will take you to the passenger list showing Lewis Basset, left Liverpool Apr 2 1903 arriving in Halifax April 12.
I think someone previously advised this site:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/index.html
It is well worth checking out as there is lots of information on Home Children.
Good Luck!!

skb2
12-11-2005, 4:06 PM
Janette,
Thanks for this info and also your email message. The passenger list shows that the Home Child, Lewis Bassett, was from Manchester/Salford so I think that confirms that he is the one from the Crossley Home. I have several links to check out now, so I shall see if I can find out more about him.