PDA

View Full Version : Leicestershire Regiment

Maeve
27-06-2006, 3:10 PM
I have been trying for several years to obtain the death certificate of the following individual, searching various sources without success. I am contacting you in the hope that you can find this individual, for which I will of course pay relevant fee.
Charles Henry Baxter. Born in Barrow on Soar Leicester abt 1867. Parents Benjamin and Sarah Baxter. He was shown to be alive on 1901 census for Leicester and then the family moved to Leeds Yorkshire. On one of his daughter’s marriage certificates he was stated as deceased. (Marriage took place in Leeds Yorkshire in 1924. So we know he was alive between 1901 and 1924. Charles Henry was said to have served in the Leicestershire Regiment at some point and said to have lost his leg whilst serving abroad. I have contacted the Leicestershire Regiment but they cannot help. The family said they had been told he died in Knottingham hospital but cannot find any records of his demise. I would like to trace his military records (if any) but cannot do so without death certificate. I am hoping desperately that you can help should you find a trace of this person. Thank you. Regards Maeve

neil1821
28-06-2006, 8:01 PM
Hi Maeve,
I've just checked a few sources for Charles Henry Baxter, Leicestershire Regiment:
WW1 medal cards; WW1 CWGC database; Boer War casualties (but then you say he was home in 1901 anyway)
and no joy I'm afraid.
Are you sure he was Leics Regt? There are certainly a few men of that name in the WW1 sources in other units.
Neil

Maeve
30-06-2006, 9:55 AM
Thank you for replying to my message. This man has been a thorn in our sides for over twenty years. We know lots about him and his family, his marriage to Emma Gillen and his parents but cannot find his date of death anywhere. Without the certificate I cannot even prove that he was in the Army. Although I have an aprox date of his birth circa 1867, nothing seems to show up on any records. I am now going to send for his birth certificate to make sure we have the correct date of birth. Should you require any further information please contact me. Regards Maeve

neil1821
30-06-2006, 7:02 PM
Just a thought, but have you checked army deaths overseas? These will cover all, not just war deaths.

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/OverseasStartSearchServlet
http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/OverseasStartSearchServlet?mode=A&searchType=D

Neil

Maeve
04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Further information gained since my last post on Charles Henry Baxter
Married to Emma Gillen on 15 Aug 1888 in Leiceter. His age was given on certificate as being 23.

On 1901 Census for Leicester Charles Henry was living at 16 Old Mill Lane Leicester with family, his age was shown as 36 last birthday.
The family after this date moved to Hunslet Leeds Yorkshire, where his wife Emma was born. It is not known if Charles Henry came with them.
In 1917 at marriage of his son Bertie Baxter to Edith Dalby in Hunslet Leeds Yorkshire he is witness to the marriage, so he was alive at this date. His occupation is given as Shoe Laster, a trade he seems to have carried out during the latter of his working life. This leads us to suspect that he is still living in Leicester or Nottingham. There was a family dispute and Charles Henry Baxter and his wife Emma were separated.

Last known documentary evidence. On 21 April 1924. Marriage certificate of his daughter Emma Baxter and Alexander Edward Wilson in Hunslet Leeds, Emma’s father Charles Henry Baxter was stated to be deceased.

According to family tradition, Charles Henry died in Nottingham Infirmary. No evidence of this has ever been proved. He had a sister Sarah Anne (nee Baxter) who lived in the Nottingham area after her marriage, married name not known.

tommy166
04-07-2006, 2:06 PM
If this family dispute was acrimonious & all contact with Charles was severed, is it possible he was recorded as deceased in 1927, whereas he was still alive somewhere else? (even maybe under a different name).

You don't say how far you have looked through the GRO bmd indices, but extending that search beyond 1917 might yield a result.

Also he might feature in Directories for Nottingham or Leicester to help you narrow down when he died.

Tom

Maeve
04-07-2006, 7:39 PM
I have gathered together all the information I have and sent it to both Leicester and Nottingham Registry offices (who have been of help in passed queries). To be quite truthful, I fully believe that this man is being as awkward in death as he was to his family when he was alive. Thanks for all help received. If anyone has any other ideas as to where we may find him please let me know. Regards Maeve