PDA

View Full Version : Legacy software - upgrade problems

barrie wise
26-06-2006, 2:35 AM
I am currently running Legacy v6.0.0.83 and do regular updates, but I am having problems trying to update v6.0.0.101.
Legacy have changed their server and are telling me that my firewall permissions need modifying, but apart from the XP firewall I haven't any firewalls installed.
I can access their site through both Legacy software and their web site, but can't get the upgrade to work.
Is anyone else having similar problems?

Barrie.

arthurk
26-06-2006, 8:14 PM
Hi Barrie

Two things you could try are (a) ask Legacy's Technical Support, and (b) sign up to the Legacy Users Group and ask there. I've found both to be very helpful, and they can be reached via the Legacy homepage - click on "Help Center" in the top menu for a drop-down list of links. (The users group is found via "Email Lists".)

I think a similar question may have been asked on the LUG a few days ago, but as I'm on v.5 I didn't pay much attention to it.

Good luck,
Arthur

barrie wise
27-06-2006, 5:51 AM
Hello Arthur,
Thanks for the reply. I have used Legacy's technical support before, and have found they are generally fairly good, but not very helpful this time round, but will take your advice and follow it up.

Regards,
Barrie.

arthurk
27-06-2006, 8:36 PM
Hi again

I went looking through the Legacy Users group archives and found this message (http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00254.html). Does that help? (Follow it through to the end of the thread.)

Arthur

barrie wise
28-06-2006, 1:00 AM
Hello Arthur,

Thanks again - I had already tried the complete download, but that doesn't work either, will contact Sherry again at Legacy.

Barrie.

Burrow Digger
29-06-2006, 12:04 AM
How much RAM do you have on your PC?

I found that the 256 MB of RAM we were using on our old Win 98 PC was inadequate (and 128 MB is totally useless) for the Legacy version 6. I had nothing but trouble with Legacy from the day I downloaded version 6 to the day we switched to the new PC with Win XP.

I'm told Sherry on several occasions how unhappy I was with the "upgrades" for several reasons - 1 they were not optional, 2 they were taking up a lot of space and doing nothing of any importance, and 3 these upgrades were forced on me. I was NOT impressed.

Now that we have a new PC with 1 GB RAM, I have no trouble with Legacy version 6 at all. :) So I'm not complaining anymore.

For version 6 you really need a minimum of 512 MB to have Legacy run smoothly.

BD

barrie wise
29-06-2006, 2:10 AM
Thanks to all the replies - I have now, after much fiddling, got the v .101 up and running. Have yet to see if some of the bugs have been corrected.
Barrie.

Bengie
02-07-2006, 9:47 PM
Sorry to butt in. What is Legacy software?

You'll ask these silly questions when you get to my age.

Burrow Digger
02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Legacy is a genealogy software program. Its available at this website

The standard version can be downloaded for free, with a small cost to upgrade to the deluxe version.

Are you using any software to input your family tree?

BD

Bengie
02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Only the one on Friends Reunited, but I knew at some time I would have
to get a real tree, so am off to have a look at that one, Thanks.