PDA

View Full Version : DAVIES Family

Lindad
03-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Does anyone else have links with the extensive DAVIES family from Burbage?

My GGGrandmother was Ann Johanna DAVIES who was born in Burbage in 1832. She married James Ryling BERRETT in 1851 and eventually they moved to Middlesex/London.

The DAVIES family was quite large and, it seems, was related in one way or another to just about every other family in Burbage!

Rosey
27-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Hi Lindad

I have only recently joined this forum - hence the delayed reply to your posting.

I wonder if the DAVIES / DAVIS names in Burbage were interchangeable through variations of spelling?

I have Millicent DAVIS who was baptised in Burbage on 4 February 1798. She was the 'natural daughter' of Dorothy DAVIS. Dorothy was my 4 x great grandmother.

Dorothy DAVIS later married Stephen BLUNDY in Burbage on 9 June 1798.

After the marriage of Dorothy to Stephen the following children were baptised -

Milley BLUNDY - baptised - 12 January 1800 - Burbage
Eliza BLUNDY - baptised - 21 November 1802 - Burbage
Harriett BLUNDY - baptised - 7 April 1805 - Burbage

Eliza Blundy (my 3 x greatgrandmother) married Thomas TUTTLE in Gt Bedwyn on 8 April 1822

Is there any connection?

I have a further question relating to the children mentioned above ......

As shown, Millicent Davis was baptised a few months before the marriage of Dorothy Davis and Stephen Blundy. The baptisimal register shows her as the 'natrual daughter' of Dorothy Davis.

A child, Milley, was baptised in 1800. In this case the parents are shown as Stephen Blundy and Dorothy.

I have found no death or burial record for Millicent Davis. Could this be the same child - rebaptised with the name of Dorothy Davis' new husband?

Rosey

Lindad
04-06-2005, 9:21 PM
Hi Rosey

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have been away on holiday and have only just returned to the Forum.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a link between the DAVIS and DAVIES families of Burbage. In my experience, family names are always interchangable, depending on the spelling capabilities of the person writing them down at any one time!

Unfortunately, I don't have any Dorothy Davis' in my tree, or Blundys - although I do recognise the name from my own research.

If you haven't come across it yet, there is an excellent website about Burbage which is just full of useful information. Take a look at http://www.burbage-wiltshire.co.uk/burbageindex.html

With best wishes,

Linda

Lindad
16-10-2005, 1:09 PM
Hi Rosey

Have just returned from a few days down in Wiltshire, exploring my family roots. I visited Burbage and spent an enjoyable hour or so wandering amongst the graves in Burbage Churchyard. It is one of the better kept graveyards - and there were several DAVIS graves in one corner, all grouped together. Unfortunately, the number of graves was far fewer than the number of people known to have died locally, and some headstones that still exist are so worn that you just can't read them.

I seem to recall the name Blundy on a few of the graves. Wish now that I'd taken photos of them all, rather than just the ones I knew to be relevant... Sorry!

If you haven't yet had an opportunity to visit the area, I'd recommend it. My cousin and I toured around all the nearby villages that we knew our family came from (Wootton Rivers, Oare, Clench, Stibb Green, Honey Street, Woodborough, Alton Barnes, Alton Priors, All Cannings, Wilcot...) and it was so helpful to see the distance between them all and just soak up the atmosphere. It is an incredibly beautiful, very rural area - and I just hate to imagine how they must all of felt when transplanted to the streets of London, where a lot of them migrated to in the 1800's!