PDA

View Full Version : District in Sussex

Bev_L
24-06-2006, 8:44 AM
On looking in the 1841 census for Cranbrooke Kent for information on James & Sarah Moore, I found that Sarah was born in Sussex. The 1851 census shows her place of birth as Penhurst, but the 1861 shows it as Trechurol? I think this is the family of Moore's I am looking for and think that her name was Sarah French born approximately 1783. Both these places show the same birth year. Can anyone help me with this please?
Bev_L

Geoffers
24-06-2006, 9:06 AM
On looking in the 1841 census for Cranbrooke Kent for information on James & Sarah Moore, I found that Sarah was born in Sussex. The 1851 census shows her place of birth as Penhurst, but the 1861 shows it as Trechurol?
If this is from RG9/507 f17 p33 sch.200

It looks like Ticehurst to me

Geoffers

Brian
24-06-2006, 9:08 AM
Hello Bev,
One of my first ports of call for places that I am not familiar with is GENUKI, looking at Sussex Towns and Villages for Penhurst you can then look at all the nearby places.

Try and match one up with what you can see - perhaps its Ticehurst for instance, it just depends on the handwriting.
Hope that helps

Brian

Bev_L
25-06-2006, 7:22 AM
Hello Brian & Geoffers,
Thanks for your prompt reply - and it looks like the town may be Ticehurst, particularly for it's closeness to Cranbrook!
I will follow that trail now.
regards
Bev.

Bev_L
15-07-2006, 8:35 AM
Hello again,
Following on from finding what I think is my Mary French who married James Moore in Kent in 1805 I went to the Sussex OPC and in the baptisms at St James Church, Birdham, I found one for Sarah - with about the right age group according to the census results. My question is: could this be correct? There was quite a family of them and co-incidently her parents names were James and Sarah as well!
This is really confusing as she has been named on the 1851 census as from Penhurst and in the 1861 from Ticehurst. I'm not sure of distances, but would the church be near either of the above and would they travel much distance for a baptism?
Bev

Jane M
15-07-2006, 7:34 PM
Hi Bev,

Perhaps you've had a look at the GENUKI site Brian recommended but Birdham is in WEST Sussex & Ticehurst & Penhurst are in EAST Sussex. Ticehurst is right on the Kent border. Penhurst & Ticehurst are not that close either.
I presume you're looking for the baptism of Mary Moore nee French & that from the census she was born about 1783 in either Penhurst or Ticehurst or have I got this all wrong? Can you give us the census information so that we can have a dig around for you?

Jane

Bev_L
16-07-2006, 6:33 AM
Hi Jane,
I do apologise, but sometimes I go at things 125mph and get it entirely wrong! After I entered the message, I had a brainwave; I had pulled some stuff from LDS site and went back to it and there it was: Sarah French born 19.3.1783 daughter of Thomas French and Dorothy Forward m. 1781 in Ticehurst, Etchingham Sussex. It also showed her 2 brothers Thomas and Robert. This also tallies with her birth date on each of the census;.
I think there were so many Sarah French's that I juist grabbed one I thought was the right one.
Now I will just go quietly for a while in case I embarrass myself again.
Thank you for your offer of help.
Bev

Jane M
16-07-2006, 7:27 AM
Hi Bev, :) Yes, I understand that 125mph feeling!
Here is the marriage of her parents. The witnesses could be either John & Robert Forward or French. Both parties having the same initial is not so helpful ;) This is an unusual extract as it gives the father of both bride & groom. From the Sussex Marriage Index.

Ticehurst, East Sussex, 16 Apr 1781:
Thomas FRENCH, s of John F shoemaker
Dorothy FORWARD, d Robert F botp (B)
Witness wit: John F; Robart F;

Hope that adds a bit more to your research, a generation back all in one swoop!

Jane