PDA

View Full Version : Orcop Hill

sadielou_b_lou
03-11-2004, 8:52 PM
I am looking for information on a general store/post office in Orcop.
The house was called Ebenezer House & built by my g father x 4 Charles Burleigh, he lived there with his family for 4 censuses 1871-1901. There is mention that a Charles Burleigh collected letters in the Littlebury Gazetter (details on the GENUKI site). Apparently Ebenzer House was a one time staging post (what does this mean) for the Orcop Carrier & until 1964 the Post Office & only general store in the Village.
It would be great to know if it is still there & if anybody else has any information about the store & its past residents.
Thank you

Lindad
03-11-2004, 9:08 PM
Staging Posts were were the Stage Coaches used to stop at various points along the route. Horses would be changed or rested overnight and the passengers, who had usually endured a long and bumpy journey, could get a meal and some rest.

sadielou_b_lou
03-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Many thanks for that, I have a picture of the house & being able to visualise what it was used for is fantastic.

If anybody knows anything about an Ebenzer Cottage also, Charles Burleigh's daughter lived at this address in the 1891 & 1901 with her husband Edwin Cowley. I was wondering if maybe Charles built this also.

This is the first post I have put on this site so thank you Lindad for your reply.

Guy Etchells
03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Jakeman & Carver's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire 1902(Reference #0964) shows on page 586
BURLEIGH Charles, shopkeeper, Post office Orcop hill
COWLEY Mrs. Sarah, postmistress, Post office Orcop hill.

The earlier Herefordshire 1895 Kelly's Directory(Reference #0144) is rather more interesting with the following three entries on page 146 -
Post Office, Orcop Hill- Charles BURLEIGH, sub-postmaster. Letters through Tram Inn (Railway Sub-Office), arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. ...
Carriers
Charles BURLEIGH, to Hereford on wed. & sat. ; to Ross, on thurs. returning same days. ...
Commercial
BURLEIGH Charles, shopkeeper & carrier, Post Office, Orcop Hill.

There does not seem to have been a post office in Orcop in 1879 as the Post Office Directory of Herefordshire 1879(Reference #9069P)
does not mention one but states "letters through Ross" however in the commercial section page 1027 it states -
Burleigh Charles, shopkeeper.

There is no mention of a BURLEIGH in the Herefordshire 1909 Kelly's Directory(Reference #0314)

Cheers
Guy

sadielou_b_lou
04-11-2004, 8:13 PM
Thank you Guy,

according to the 1871 & 1881 census Charles Burleigh was living at Ebenzer House, the 1871 states he was a master shoe maker & grocer (cannot make out other writing) on the 1881 he was a van man & general shop keeper, so I think I will have to dig a little more to see what he was up to in 1879.
He seems to have been a man of many traits, I have got hold of a book called Orcop The Story of a Herefordshire Village & it it states that Charles (c 1863) was a Rev., preacher, carrier & sub postmaster also a member of the parish council & school board.
One interesting funny thing was that on his 90th birthday he walked to Hereford, traversed the old bridge as the clock struck 8 in the morning & then walked back again in the night!!!!
I'm new to genealogy & learning about the details are great, I think you call it putting flesh on the bones.

Once again - thank you