PDA

View Full Version : Looking for William Goater

mariapbf
20-06-2006, 2:08 PM
Hi, I'm new to this and looking for information on my ggg grandfather William Goater. He was a soldier in the 49th Hertfordshire regiment joining up in Hereford in 1844 and going with the regiment to Ireland where he married in 1846 in Ballinrobe.
In 1853 he was posted with the regiment in Malta where he had a son and he took part in the war in the Crimea where he died on 27/2/1855.
I have contacted the regimental organisation, The Wardrobe and they have looked for William at Kew but have been unable to unearth any further details. Without his enlistment details I am unable to find out details of his family etc,.
Having read some of the other postings I was wondering if anyone could advise/ or had access to any info that may be helpful.
I feel that I know so little about him and would love to know how he died and where our family originated from.
Many thanks
Maria

neil1821
20-06-2006, 9:04 PM
Hi Maria,
Can confirm Private William Goater is on the medal roll for the Crimea.
Service number ends in 79 (as often happens, part is illegible).
Also says he got the clasp for the Alma (presumably also Sebastopol?) but was not at Inkerman.
Can I ask how you know he died in the Crimea? I can't immediately see his name on the casualty roll.

Neil

mariapbf
21-06-2006, 9:23 AM
Dear Neil

Gosh thanks so much - I am totally overwhelmed. I've been looking for him forever. Where is the medal roll? Is it possible to get a hard copy? Was the Alma clasp a medal? Are there any other details, wound etc,.?
We have his date of death as 27/2/1855 from his regimental records and his army no. is 2179. According to the Wardrobe website the regiment were still in the Crimea at the time of William's death and parts of the regiment returned to England on 19/3/1855. Could he have been invalided back to England and died there? His widow remarried (we believe to a fellow soldier) William Kingston in Winchester in December 1855. Would it be possible to find out?
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply.
Best wishes
Maria

neil1821
21-06-2006, 4:27 PM
Maria,
The medal roll can be consulted at the National Archives at Kew.
I'm lucky enough to have it on CD. I can possibly get you a copy of the relevant page. I'll send you a personal message and I'll see what I can do.
The crimea medal is shown on this page,
http://www.crimeanwar.org/cwrsentry.html. Navigate to the page called War in the Crimea - an overview

The clasps in the shape of stylised oak leaves were awarded for service in particular battles. Your ancestor certainly had the Alma clasp and probably the Sebastopol clasp.

If he was invalided back to England and died here, he would have a "regular" death certificate. Have you checked the registers? If he died abroad, he may still be registered in the army chaplains index,

Neil

mariapbf
21-06-2006, 5:03 PM
Dear Neil

Thanks again. I passed on the information you gave me to my dad - he is absolutely delighted and I have printed off the article on the Crimean war so he can have a look at it.
Will check 1837 again - I know one of the deaths in the overseas section is for a James Goater in Corfu - trying to figure out if he fits in anywhere.
Would love a copy of the medal roll entry if possible.
Thanks again, you've been a star!

Best wishes

Maria

neil1821
21-06-2006, 9:37 PM
Just as an aside, there is a Sergeant W Kingston on the medal roll of the 49th.
Sounds like your man!

mariapbf
22-06-2006, 2:44 PM
Neil, you keep surprising me! Are there any more details on W. Kingston, army no. etc.,? The Kingston who married William's widow was also William and they went on to have a second family, a son and daughter.

Thanks again.

Maria

neil1821
22-06-2006, 6:29 PM
Ah, lets see. Sergt W. Kingston, at the Alma and Inkerman
Service no *26* (sorry, can't make out the first and last numbers)
Nothing else mentioned

mariapbf
22-06-2006, 9:16 PM
Thanks Neil. I might throw another tenner at the Wardrobe and see if they can clarify no. I thought they might have medals in the museum too - fingers crossed! Maria

mariapbf
23-06-2006, 1:47 PM
Dear all,

I have written to the Wardrobe today to see if they can shed any light on W. Kingston's army record and also if they hold any medals in the museum.

A big thanks to Neil for the copy of the medal roll.

Another thought struck me last night (pretty dangerous all this thinking!). As William's widow Ellen remarried (to W. Kingston) in December 1855, ten months after William G's death would she have been required to prove she was a widow? Surely the army must have issued some paperwork to confirm?

Clutching at straws.....!

Thanks again

Maria

mariapbf
23-06-2006, 3:05 PM
Dear Neil

On the medal roll it has the letters WO next to William's name - do we know what it means? It looks like some of them have killed next to them.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thanks again

Maria

neil1821
25-06-2006, 2:14 PM
Hi again Maria,
WO stands for War Office. In this particular context I guess it means the medal was returned to the War Office and forwarded on from there.
As you've noticed, there are also comments against some names (killed at Inkerman, for example). This is useful but should always check the casualty returns for confirmation.
I checked the casualties looking for Pte Goater but he's not listed.
Neil

mariapbf
26-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks once again Neil!

Does this mean that the War Office would have soldier's addresses to pass items on to next of kin? Are these the records which would now be at Kew? Would the War Office still keep records from this time?

Sorry to be a pest but every question answered seems to raise a few more!

Thanks again.

Maria

Terry Reeves
08-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Maria

It may be worth checking the Muster Rolls and Pay lists for the 49th Regiment in WO12 / 6078 (1854-1855) and WO12 /6079 (1855 -1856). These will not help with your immediate quest for relations, but may help provide a clue as to what happened to him. He would have to be struck off the rolls for instance due to death. Information varies considerably in documents such as these, but they are always worth trying to see if they contain additional clues.

Terry Reeves

mariapbf
17-07-2006, 5:54 PM
Dear Terry

Thanks for your interest. Looks like I'm going to have to make that trip to Kew!

Best wishes

Maria