PDA

View Full Version : Just starting

lesleyl
19-06-2006, 3:19 PM
I am looking for information on my maternal grandmothers family - BURCHNELL. I have a marriage certificate dated 1869 William Burchnell married Sarah Allen at the Parish Church, Gedney Hill and I am looking for connection to either any Burchnell before that date or any information on Sarah Allen's father, John (deceased) at time of marriage. I also have a discharge record for a John Cook who I believe is the same person.

Mike_E
19-06-2006, 8:26 PM
Dont' know if I'm on the right track, 1861 has this, Could Rebecca be her Mother?

Sarah Allen abt 1848 Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire, England Stepdaughter Gedney Hill Lincolnshire
Henry Biggerline abt 1818 Thorney, Cambridgeshire, England Head Gedney Hill Lincolnshire
Rebecca Biggerline abt 1818 Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire, England Wife Gedney Hill Lincolnshire
Elizabeth A Mears abt 1844 Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire, England Stepdaughter Gedney Hill Lincolnshire

Geoff Everitt
19-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I think MIke_E was right...

West Drove, Gedney Hill
Rebecca COOKE (wid) 34 Formerly Dressmaker
Elizabeth Ann 7
Sarah 3
All born Gedney Hill

Rebecca MEARES bap 10 March 1817 Gedney Hill, dau of John and Elizabeth

Rebecca MEARES married John ALLEN or COOKE 8 June 1846 at Gedney Hill

John COOK buried 30 Nov 1849 at Gedney Hill age 29

lesleyl
20-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Thank you both - Mike E and Geoff - I had managed to find the 1861 census records with both Rebecca, Elizabeth Mears and Sarah Allen - but it makes me wonder if the 1851 census is correct why Elizabeth didn't have the Allen (Cook) surname in 1861?

I will look further but any help with the Burchnell side would be very helpful. William Burchnell who married Sarah Allen in 1869 had as their witnesses to the marriage Fanny Harris (who I think was a Burchnell, William's sister???) and Richard Burchnell (who I think was a brother) - can't find any more siblings and William's father was also William so it gets a bit complicated (to the inexperienced).

jeeb
20-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Lesley,
You said you are unaware of anymore siblings for William Burchnell so here you are:- Besides Fanny & Richard you already know about there is Charles 1852, Jessis 1854 & Kate 1859. This information can be found on the 1861 census ref. RG9/2326 Folio 40 Page 17. If you can't find them or require further assistance let me know. Enjoy your new found interest, its a great hobby.
Cheers Jeremy.

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 1:05 PM
The names borne by illegitimate/step children tend to vary during their lives and this appears to be the case with Elizabeth Ann (who was baptised MEARES, daughter of Rebecca on 6 Dec 1843). It's not unusual to revert to original name when grown up.

She married as Elizabeth Ann MEARS in Q1 1868 to David PRESTON.

lesleyl
20-06-2006, 2:25 PM
Thanks for that - I think I worked out that Elizabeth Mears was illegitimate from the birth record with only Rebecca recorded. I guess I should put that one to the side for a moment and concentrate on the Allen/Burchnell side.

I have today signed up to 1837online and The Genealogist and paid the dues but I don't seem to get the detailed information that you guys are getting. Any advice on which websites to use and which gives best value for money.

How can I find out the cause of death of John Allen/Cook - age 29 seems young.

The additional information on the Burchnells is one that I will try to follow-up. Where is the best site to look for the 1861 census?

I am aware I am sounding very naive and (stupid)!!! Please bear with me.

jeeb
20-06-2006, 4:08 PM
Hi Lesley,
You most certainly don't sound stupid, you are feeling your way like we all do when we first start on this fascinating but sometimes infuriating hobby.
With regards to your question as to "how can I find out what John Cook died from". You will need to get his death certificate, I have checked for you and the most likely one is registered at Sleaford Vol 14 Page 336 deaths Oct/Dec 1849 - John Cook.
Though 29 is young to die it was by no means uncommon then when 20% of infants would die before their 5th birthday. Consumption was a big killer of people in their teens and twenties. Don't be too surprised if the cause of death is given as 'Visitation of God' or some equally unhelpful cause though.
Here is the 1861 information for you:-
Holbeach Lincs
15 Crowland Rd private house.
William Burchnall Head 45 Ag La
Ann Wife 41
Richard Son 14 Scholar
Charles T Son 9 Scholar
Jessie Ann Dau. 7 Scholar
Kate 2 Dau
( Birth place is given as Holbeachdrove for all)

With regards to sites there are many with varying degrees of use but most people who do a lot of research use Ancestry.co.uk

Jeremy.

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 4:42 PM
William BURCHNALL (son of William) married Anne HARRIS (dau of William) at Holbeach All Saints, 9 Oct 1839

from the Holbeach list, downloaded from here http://s10.freefronthost.com/mi/index.html

The 1841 census for Holbeach has
William BURCHNALL 20 Farmer
Ann 21
William 9m

and close by is

William HARRIS 48 Publican
Isabella 44
Isabella 16
Betsy 7
Fanny 4
All born Lincs

Unfortunately, the list does not include Gedney Hill marriages.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you buy the death certificate that jeeb suggested (at this stage anyway), as it's in the wrong part of the county.

I've just checked on the National Burial Index and, as well as being buried as John COOK (which I mentioned above), there is a burial on the same day - 30 Nov 1849 - for a John ALLEN age 29 at Gedney Hill. Checking FreeBMD shows a death registration for a John ALLEN

Deaths Dec 1849
Allen John Holbeach 14 273

If you want to know the cause of death, I think this is the certificate that you should order.

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 4:45 PM
Sorry about the jumbled message ... it's a unique feature of the B-G forums and editing it only makes things worse. :rolleyes:

I hope you can figure things out.

jeeb
20-06-2006, 5:18 PM
Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you buy the death certificate that jeeb suggested (at this stage anyway), as it's in the wrong part of the county.

I've just checked on the National Burial Index and, as well as being buried as John COOK (which I mentioned above), there is a burial on the same day - 30 Nov 1849 - for a John ALLEN age 29 at Gedney Hill. Checking FreeBMD shows a death registration for a John ALLEN

Deaths Dec 1849
Allen John Holbeach 14 273

If you want to know the cause of death, I think this is the certificate that you should order.

I totally agree with Geoff, get the cert. he suggests it is far more likely to be the right one. I only checked under Cook and it was sheer coincidence there seems to be a death for John Cook & John Allen the same day. Well done Geoff.
Jeremy

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 5:31 PM
I doubt it was a coincidence - it seems he was "COOK or ALLEN" till the day he died - and entered in the burial register as such, but could only be registered under one name.

jeeb
20-06-2006, 7:07 PM
Hi Geoff,
Sorry I'm with you now. I thought you meant that the John Cook reg. at Sleaford was also 29 and buried the same day. Are you saying that there are 2 seperate enteries in the parish register for the same man, one under Cook and one under Allen? If so how misleading, it usually gives a name and then 'alias' under one entry! No wonder poor Lesley is confused.
Jeremy

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 7:28 PM
I've no idea what it says in the actual register ... perhaps "John Allen alias Cook" but, to make it searchable in the National Burial Index, two entries are necessary or it would be pretty difficult to find him.

lesleyl
20-06-2006, 7:55 PM
You guys are amazing. I think I just going to put the information I have collected myself and with your help into my software package and then review where I should go from there.

Just for my information is it better to start with bare bones and then build up to buying the certificates to confirm that the individual is the one I am looking for?

If you don't get the certificates then isn't all conjecture and not authenticated and publishable to my family.

The more I talk to you the deeper the 'pit' seems to be!!!

Geoff Everitt
20-06-2006, 9:26 PM
Ultimately it depends how deep your pocket is; for marriages after 1837 you can get exactly the same info for a fraction of the cost from the parish registers (if you are able to visit the relevant Records Office). Last time I was in Lincoln, I got about 20 marriages for 55p each.

Birth certs are useful, particularly if you've no idea of the mother's maiden name.