PDA

View Full Version : Constantine Church - Look-up please?

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 5:05 PM
If anyone happens to visit this Church sometime, (which was locked on weekdays up until October 2002) but may be permanently open now .... may I beg a favour?

At the back of the Church, near the Font I think, there is a plaque on the wall giving information about Henry? and Ann? TREFUSES/ TREFUSIS. Could you please write down what it says and post it on this Forum please?

I was going to do this myself, but our friend said he would take a photo of it, but unfortunately he forgot.

I am still wondering if these TREFUSES are connected to my lot.
Thankyou ...... I shall be eternally grateful! :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 5:08 PM
P.S. If the Church isn't open when you go, if you go through the side gate to the Spar Shop, the lady in there will be able to tell you the address of the lady who has the key! :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
19-08-2006, 9:17 AM
I thought I had better update this thread, in case someone 'stumbles' across it, sometime in the future.

My request bore fruit, as a Member here, Barbara Wilkinson, undertook the task. Not only that, but braving spiders along the way! :eek:

Many thanks Barbara. :)

MarkJ
19-08-2006, 1:55 PM
Just as an aside, is there a connection between the family and Trefusis point which is close to Constantine? It would seem logical that there is a connection.

Mark :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
19-08-2006, 3:55 PM
Hi Mark,

If there is a connection, I'm afraid I don't know what it is.

Perhaps one of the Trefuses/Trefusis Gents caught an enormous fish there sometime, so the Point was named after him? ;) :D

Mythology
19-08-2006, 5:00 PM
Archive CD Books (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_3293.html)
Edit:
On second thoughts, don't see that index to the first book - it's the original, and you'll wonder what on earth I'm on about, as Constantine isn't mentioned, just the Trefusis name.
See the more detailed index to the book which Sheila Jones did:
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonIndexes/AncientFamiliesIndex.html

The name is also in the other book - but not specifically "of Constantine", so I'd be tempted to get the first one and see what the score is first.

MarkJ
20-08-2006, 2:32 AM
Hi Mark,

If there is a connection, I'm afraid I don't know what it is.

Perhaps one of the Trefuses/Trefusis Gents caught an enormous fish there sometime, so the Point was named after him? ;) :D

Nosey old me - I had a look around the web and came up with this information -

"Trefusis the ancient place of residence of the Trefusis family, is beautifully situated on a bold headland called Trefusis Point, which juts into Falmouth Harbour, having Penryn river on the south side, and the river Fal on the north. The present mansion, though of comparatively modern date, is in a state of decay, and chiefly occupied by a farmer. The manors of Trefusis and Tregew or Tregose are the property of Lord Clinton."

Sounds like there is some possible research material there for you Diane ;)

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Myth & Mark :)

Thank you for your replies and the links you gave. I have a confession to make. I was so wrapped up in the RASHLEIGH's at this time, that when I received my West Country Families CD from Archive CD Books (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P12660&pageOffset=0), I completely forgot to look at the TREFUSIS entries in it!

This error will be rectified in due course! |blush|

Trefusis
01-04-2009, 6:06 PM
Hi,

I've just stumbled on your thread and am interested in your interest in the Trefusis family and would love to know if you are a Trefusis. There are very few of us. I live at the place called Trefusis and am a direct descendant of the Trefuses mentiones in the charter which you found in the Herald's visitation.

Tell me more

Hugh Thompson
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Dianne and Trefusis, don't mind me as I'm just logging in to this post to keep track of your progress, as I might have a link to your familys through the Kempthornes of Mylor, and the Leys of Restronguet.
Hugh.:)

Diane Grant-Salmon
02-04-2009, 8:04 AM
Hi Both,

My connection to the family is from Katheryn, bap. 12 Nov 1611 at Constantine, the daughter of Thomas and Mary.

David Bawden
16-04-2009, 5:29 PM
Hi Diane,

Perhaps you've already run across this but if you haven't (and knowing you love intrigue) here's something I ran across in the early records of Constantine:

Robert Quarme, “gentleman”, marries “Katheryn daughter of Thomas Trefuses, gentleman” on Oct 24, 1632.

How do you square that with her marriage to John Bowden, Constantine around 1636? I know John married a Catherine from the church records on the birth of sons John, 8 Jun 1636, and my William, 1 Sep 1639. I've not been able to find a marriage record nor can I confirm her last name is Trefuses.

ps: I've still not found documentation for the birth of Catherine's husband, John Bowden.

Best Regards,

Dave Bawden

Diane Grant-Salmon
17-04-2009, 5:36 AM
Hi Dave,

Yes, I do have that information about Katheryn's marriage to Robert Quarme, given to me years ago, by a researcher of the Bawden/Bowden family.

She started about 40 years ago and at one time, she used to go to the CRO in Truro on a fairly regular basis. She couldn't find a record either, of a 1635 or 1636 marriage for John and Katheryn ...... so she made the assumption that it took place, as Katheryn was a widow at that time, but a non-proven fact as you point out.

Perhaps we should all delete Katheryn Trefuses as our ancestor? :D

David Bawden
17-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Diane,

As usual, lots of unknowns that lead to more questions. One clue to explore is the fact that her father and husband were both "gentleman". I'm not sure what "gentleman" means in England during the 1600's, but the questions I would have would include:

How common would it be for the daughter and widow of a "gentleman" to marry a commoner in England at that time?

Were marriages arranged for this economic or social class?

Was John Bawden perhaps also a "gentleman" or someone Katherine's father passed his daughter to in order to get her some type of marital arrangement?

And by the way, how do you know she was a widow?

I'll be digging around Truro this summer. If I uncover any dead bodies, I'll pass the news along to you.

Dave

Diane Grant-Salmon
18-04-2009, 5:33 AM
And by the way, how do you know she was a widow?

I'll be digging around Truro this summer. If I uncover any dead bodies, I'll pass the news along to you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

One dead body you can hopefully dig up, is the one belonging to Robert Quarme! :D

According to my friend, he was supposedly buried on the 29 January 1632/33 Constantine, shortly after the marriage.

Trefusis
21-04-2009, 5:00 PM
David, are you by any chance related to Bawdens who lived in Flushing & Mylor in the 18th century?

David Bawden
25-04-2009, 1:51 PM
Hello Trefusis,

My direct line of Bowden/Bawden kin stayed in Constantine until 1823 then moved to Mawgan-in-Menagan. There were however lots of siblings and I don't know where they all might have gone for work or marriage in the surrounding parishes. After Mawgan, it was Illogan and Camborne, then emigration to America.

I'm still looking for relatives that live in Cornwall because I'll be traveling there this summer to dedicate a grave marker. My 2X grandparents had an unmarked grave in Illogan and I've purchased a marker and made a bronze sculpture for placement on it.

Dave

Jilly Limb
13-03-2015, 1:04 AM
Hello Diane, My link is also through Katheryn as a direct ancestor = have you had any luck in finding a marriage to John Bowden after the death of her husband Robert Quarme? This or lack of is going to cause 'fun' with my family tree. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia and can also be contacted at limboat2 AT bigpond DOT com. Best Jilly

Hi Both,

My connection to the family is from Katheryn, bap. 12 Nov 1611 at Constantine, the daughter of Thomas and Mary.

Diane Grant-Salmon
13-03-2015, 9:40 AM
Hello Jilly,

Goodness, this thread is old! No luck at all in finding a marriage to date either, so without proof, probably this is the best thing to do now ...... quote from my message 13 on here. :wink5:

Perhaps we should all delete Katheryn Trefuses as our ancestor?

Jilly Limb
13-03-2015, 9:45 AM
Hello Jilly,

Goodness, this thread is old! No luck at all in finding a marriage to date either, so without proof, probably this is the best thing to do now ...... quote from my message 13 on here. :wink5:

Perhaps we should all delete Katheryn Trefuses as our ancestor?

Ha, Ha, I/ we might disappear too. I was going back checking my previous inputs for her and family when I came across your posts. Thanks for the reply Diane.
Jilly

David Bawden
13-03-2015, 3:35 PM
Hello Diane, My link is also through Katheryn as a direct ancestor = have you had any luck in finding a marriage to John Bowden after the death of her husband Robert Quarme? This or lack of is going to cause 'fun' with my family tree. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia and can also be contacted at limboat2 AT bigpond DOT com. Best Jilly

Hello, are you related to the Bowdens that emigrated to Adelaide from our ancestors in Constantine? Perhaps you know of Dianne Griffin's soon to be published book. "The book is biographical fiction, about Benjamin and Emma Bowden, and Emmas brother William Trethowan and his wife. It tracks them in Cornwall and making the decision to emigrate to South Australia."

For those interested, here is a link to the Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/781184165251189/?pnref=lhc

Hugh Thompson
14-03-2015, 10:28 AM
I had a look through the Family Search images for Constantine and found these two.
Robert Quarme gent was buried January 1633 image 72 Constantine Register 1562-1709.
Marriage of Robert Quarme gent to "Catherine" Trefusis daughter of Thomas Trefusis gent Oct 1632 image 19 Constantine Register 1562-1709.
If it's of any help, I couldn't see a marriage for John Bowden and Catherine but it would be easy to miss with the condition of the register.
Hugh.