PDA

View Full Version : Broadbent

bettyespana
17-06-2006, 8:53 PM
John Broadbent born circa 1864 Clun,Shropshire (My GreatGrandfather)

At some point he moved to Lancashire
Spouse:Margaret Amelia(formerly D.I.C.K.I.N.S.O.N )born Liverpool 5.2.1878
Children:Agnes,Harold,Clifford,Lucy,Gladys,Marion, Phyllis,Vincent Jack.

Agnes was born in Wigan & as far as I know the others were all born at Winton, Eccles where they had a shop/lived at Worsley Rd.
I do not know anything about his family in Clun except his father may have been called George.This was the name that John was known by in fact I have a business card of his which had me researching him with that name until my mother gave me Agnes birth cert which clearly states that her father was called John Broadbent & not George.
Any help appreciated
Betty

s.g.d.
18-06-2006, 5:39 PM
hello

I can not help sorry,but in the 1800's Clun had a thriving clog industry.The wooden soles were cut from Alder trees and then sent to Lancashire to have the leather tops attached. this would have made it very easy for John(George) to move up to Lancashire.

sorry if this is of no use,
s.g.d.

bettyespana
07-07-2006, 5:28 PM
hello

I can not help sorry,but in the 1800's Clun had a thriving clog industry.The wooden soles were cut from Alder trees and then sent to Lancashire to have the leather tops attached. this would have made it very easy for John(George) to move up to Lancashire.

sorry if this is of no use,
s.g.d.

Hi there,

This is a very interesting fact you have come up with & thanks very much.
There have been quite a few people trawling through records for me & we have come to the conclusion that although my G.Grandpa stated that he came from Clun,it looks as though it may be a 'red herring' as there is no evidence of a John(George) in any of the records for that area.
Cheers s.g.d.
Betty