PDA

View Full Version : WELSH - Hillsborough, Co Down

ChristineR
16-06-2006, 3:25 PM
Wondering if anyone out there is related to the WELSH family from Hillsborough, County Down.

4th great grandma Ann WELSH was born about 1795 in Hillsborough (father is farmer, James WELSH, mother Sarah MARTIN) Aged about 15 years old, Ann married James HUNT and had about 14 kids and ended up in Australia by 1846.

I found James WELSH at Carrickneveagh, Hillsborough in the Freeholders lists from 1790 to at least 1824, so I think I have the right family. He had property along with another James (probably his dad) and a David Welsh. The LDS appear not to have filmed registers for this area - though the children that came to Australia all say they were born Belfast. (Church of England or Ireland)

Known children.. all still living on dad's death 1860.
Ann HUNT - unmarried
Mary Ann HUNT married John McMILLAN, Melbourne 1855 (but had first child 1846)
Margaret HUNT married James JOHNSTON, Melbourne 1854
Christine
Australia

lizzie fry
02-09-2006, 8:46 AM
Hi Christine,
I think we may be related..... My Great Grandfather was Robert Martin HUNT born about 1820 or 1826, Reading Berkshire, father James.
He came to South Australia (date unknown) where in 1856 he married Caroline WARD. They had 5, possibly 6 children. He died 1897.

Does this sound like your family? Look forward to hearing from you.

Lizzie Fry

ChristineR
02-09-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi Lizzie,

I doubt it, since mine were from Northern Ireland, with no known ventures into England at all, arriving Australia about 1839ish.

Do you have your family in the England 1841 & 1851 census?

Christine

lizzie fry
04-09-2006, 5:00 AM
Dear Christine,
Thanks for prompt reply. No, I have no census information and had been unable to find links any further back than the marriage of Robert Martin HUNT to Caroline WARD 1856 in Adelaide, then someone entered a brief description of them in LDS - that's where I got the Reading, Berks. locale from - so, could be right or wrong. I also made a letter contact and found the poster was not too sure of the information he'd put on LDS, so, that's where I'm at.

Robert's son was named James, daughters Mary Elizabeth, Henrietta, Annie Eliza, Alice Edith and possibly a Clara.
Your dates and MARTIN being his mother's maiden name, sounded as though there could have been some connection (assuming Reading was not correct as place of birth) - do you still think not?

Regards,
Lizzie Fry

ChristineR
04-09-2006, 6:44 AM
I would imagine that Hunt and Martin are very common names - and I haven't any real proof yet that my ladies maiden name is Martin. It is just that all other names given by this particular branch have been accurate.

The information from the LDS can be highly unreliable - and looks like the person didn't keep a record of sources.

I see that your South Australian BDM records are pretty dismal compared to Victoria - no birthplaces noted at all until after 1907.
Have you found where your relative is buried? Does he have a headstone.
Have you looked for newspaper reports of his death, or marriage (sometimes they mention birthplaces)
Do you know of any possible siblings who may have died after 1907, then the birthplace will be named, though not always reliable.
Was he ever hospitalized? as often the name of the ship and birthplace was recorded.
Same if he was ever charged with any offences through the courts.

Christine

ChristineR
04-09-2006, 6:49 AM
yes, Clara is theirs..

Digger - South Australian Births 1842-1906 (c) SAGHS

Surname: HUNT
Given Names: Clara
Date: 1866-09-12
Sex: F
Father: Robert Martin HUNT
Mother: Caroline WARD
Birth Place/Residence: Light District
District Code: Bar
Symbol:
Book: 47
Page: 63
Cross Reference:

ChristineR
04-09-2006, 6:59 AM
And I see that there is also some confusion about if his middle name is HARLIN or MARTIN? is this just a case of the index mistranscription? I noticed two of the birth registrations also had Harlin. Have you seen a signature of his to verify which it is?

Digger - South Australian Deaths Registrations 1842 to 1915
Surname: HUNT
Given Names: Robert Harlin
Date: 1897-11-26
Sex: M

Christine

lizzie fry
09-09-2006, 9:46 AM
Hi Christine - yes, I agree about inaccuracies in LDS and treat the data as possibilities only. I'm living in NSW and do research when in Adelaide. No time yet to check records for Robert - that's planned for some time soon. Don't know of siblings or burial place. Name Martin not Harlin, seems most likely correct, however some records look like Hartin. I need to check further.
Thanks for suggesting hospital records - I have used them before but forgot about them to check HUNT.
Regards, Lizzie Fry

suzuki
15-09-2006, 2:04 AM
hi i have an isac welsh born abt 1864 co down ireland
he moved to liver pool where he was a carter
his wife was georgina brown abt 1864 born liverpool
cheers

ChristineR
15-09-2006, 4:09 AM
Thanks Suzuki,

I'll make a note of that, one never knows.

Christine

suzuki
16-09-2006, 9:50 AM
will keep a note of urs as well u never no lol
takecare besafe