PDA

View Full Version : CHAPPLE, Stanley Gordon Ilfracombe Area

AntH
13-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Looking for information, memories, photographs and/or relatives of Stanley Gordon CHAPPLE; born Gordon Stanley Chapple, 5 April 1914 Barnstaple. I have recently discovered that Stanley Gordon Chapple is my paternal grandfather. I am not sure why he transposed his forenames during his life. In 1937 he married Mary Irene Chapple (nee NORTON) and resided at Witheridge Place, Hele Ilfracombe. In 1940, Stanley and Mary Irene had a son John Gordon Chapple born Barnstaple Ilfracombe, at this time Stanley was a Gas Works Labourer living at 12 Foxbeare Road Ilfracombe. I am not sure what happened to my grandfather after the 1940 birth of my father. His wife, Mary Irene remarried in Bilston, Stafford in 1946. In 1952, Mary Irene immigrated to Sydney, Australia with her second husband Leslie Salter Hill and Stanley Chapple's son. Stanley's son (my father) died in 1990. I now believe my grandfather died in North Devon at age 84 in 1998/99. His death is recorded under his birth name Gordon Stanley Chapple. Can anyone help me locate any information about Stanley's life and relatives in Devon? Stanley has five grandchildren and eleven great grandchildren living in Melbourne, Australia. Please post any information.

kmdward
19-06-2006, 3:50 AM
my first impression on looking at the dates of Stanley's possible death/disappearance is that he was a casualty of the second world war.
might be worth checking out.

AnnB
19-06-2006, 2:08 PM
I am sure you must have this information already from the marriage certificate, but there was notification of the marriage in 'The North Devon Journal' for 4th November 1937 -
CHAPPLE-NORTON - October 23rd at Barnstaple Register Office, Stanley Gordon Chapple to mary Irene Norton, both of Witheridge Place, Hele, Ilfracombe.

Best wishes
Ann