PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Census Request

sue.durant
12-06-2006, 6:37 PM
Is anyone able to research for Allwrights at Easthampstead in 1841? Alternative I don't know if it is possible to do a place search - I would like to know the occupier of Peacock Farm, Easthampstead at that time.

I appreciate all help.
Many thanks
Sue Durant

Pat English
12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Occupiers of Peacock Farm in 1841 were John (aged 55) and Maria (aged 65)Hibberts.

Can't find any allwrights/allrights in Easthampstead at the time, though obviously quite a few in Berkshire generally. Any idea what first name you are seeking?

Pat

sue.durant
14-06-2006, 6:56 PM
Pat,
Many thanks for this. This means that there is no point in me initiating an enclosure/tithe map award for the farm as the Allwrights had left before then. I do have a link with the Hibberts in that Francis Allwright of Wokingham married a Hibbert in the 1780s. Maybe he died and her relatives then inherited the farm. As to first names - it could be any at that stage. My overall aim is to find Thomas Allwright of Chimney Corner Farm as described in an Allwright family tree compiled by a Herbert Allwright in the 1880s. Thomas is mentioned in 1688 (when the march of William of Orange took place) and again in 1722 when he had (apparently) 22 children. We have found NO Allwright who had quite that many children so the story was probably exagerated by time. Herbert would have been told the stories by his grandmother, Ann Allwright, daughter of William Allwright, who by then was living in London. There were LOTS of Allwrights, in virtually every parish around Reading - we follow every lead we can!

At the time of all this diatriabe (sorry, I just think it helps to put people in the picture) - do you happen to have the 1851 census for the same place?

Thanks for all help.
Sue

Pat English
17-06-2006, 9:07 AM
Peacock Farm in 1851:
Head: Daniel Nightingale, (age obliterated, could be 22/23/25), labourer, from Wolhampton Berks
Wife: Hannah Nightingale, 25, from Tilehurst, Berks
Son: George Nightingale aged 1, born Easthampstead
Daughter: Ann Nightingale, 5 months, born Easthampstead
[HO 107 1694, page 7]
[By the way, the reference for the 1841 was HO 107/26/8]

There are a lot of people named after birds in that area! I noticed a Peacock and a Partridge as well as the Nightingales...

Best wishes,
Pat

Pat,

Do you happen to have the 1851 census for Peacock Farm, Easthampstead?

Sue