PDA

View Full Version : Stockport Library ?

Brer
12-06-2006, 3:38 PM
Does anyone go to Stockport Library and would look a marriage up for me please?

Thanks

~ Claire

uksearch
13-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I will be poping into Stockport later. Tell me who, when, (and what). IF it is in book form and not on film , no problem. Otherwise I will have book a reader which might not be possible today.

UK

Brer
14-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm really sorry I didn't get back to you in time - for some reason my notifications have stopped.

Thank you though - missed opportunity!

:(

~ Claire

uksearch
14-06-2006, 2:20 PM
Post away anyhow... I am actually sat in Stockport Central Library now. Even if you miss me today I will be back here one day soon...maybe Thursday if I can't make it to MCL.

UK

DebbieAnn
14-06-2006, 4:09 PM
UK,

Does the SCL have registers for Nottinghamshire? A long shot, but...

I came across a notice where an ancestor of mine feloniously assaulted and killed another man, but the year wasn't given. The assault occurred on 6 Dec, and had to be between 1793 and 1812. My ancestor was Thomas Lowe - he was a blacksmith in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire and I belive the assault took place there, or close to there. His sons moved to Lancashire and Yorkshire after this.

Can you help?

Debbie

uksearch
15-06-2006, 3:02 PM
UK,

Does the SCL have registers for Nottinghamshire? A long shot, but...SNIP
Without checking I don't know for certain...but I think very doubtful

Can you help?

Debbie
With what...not sure what the question was or I am I being a bit Pat & Mick?

UK

DebbieAnn
15-06-2006, 3:47 PM
UK,

I'm looking for the year in which the assault occured. He ran, and I'm trying to trace his movements.

It had to be between 1793 and 1812, but I don't know which one. It was in the Walesby parish register that Ancestry has online (as well as several others! - looks like they really wanted HIS butt!), and apparently the range for that registry was 1753-1812, but as he had a child born in Nottingham in 1794, he couldn't have run before getting his wife preggers, which she would have been by Dec 6, 1793. So, the date should be anywhere from 1793-1812. The assault occured on Dec. 6, and the man he assualted died on Dec. 7.

The report reads as follows:
Nottinghamshire: Walesby - Parish Register
Burials
The Register of Ddalesbp, co. Dottingham.
Clergymen Officiating at Marriages, 1753-1812.
County: Nottinghamshire
About 5 p.m. on 06 Dec scandalous, threatening and opprobrious words were suddenly and unexpectedly exchanged between Thomas Scragge and Thomas Lowe late of Nottingham, 'blacksmyth', at Nottingham, Thomas Lowe saying to Thomas Scragge 'thou art a false knave' and Thomas Scragge rejoining 'thou arte a knave'. Because of these words Thomas Lowe then unsheathed his dagger worth 4s. and, holding it in his right hand, he struck Thomas Scragge with it on the right side of his body under his breast, giving him a wound 1 inch wide, 1 inch long and 3 inches deep. Thomas Scragge lived until 5 p.m. on 07 Dec , when he died of the said wound. Thus Thomas Lowe feloniously slew him. As soon as he had given him the mortal wound he fled, leaving the dagger behind. Thomas Lowe has no lands, tenements, goods or chattels within the county of the town of Nottingham. Thomas Rygerdes, Anthony Taylior and divers other men of the town recently pursued from town to town to the four neighbouring towns to arrest him and levied and made the hue according to the form of the statute thereon.

I'm trying to locate the whereabouts of all his children, but they seem to have scatterred to the four winds, and if I had the year of the assault, I could concentrate my search to find them better. The only success I've had is with the son I'm descended from and one of his brothers, whose first four children were born in 4 different counties in a 7 year period. Almost as if he were trying to escape his father's notoriety!

Debbie :confused: